Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1561855  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 pm The BNSF Transcon had a Major derailment at Joseph City Az, one mainline track open at this time,.
Plenty of staged BNSF freighs all over the line # 3 was Held at ABQ pending reopening of the mainline.
Also major snow storm passing thru the region,VRF cam at Flagstaff shows snow covered rails at present.
As of four hours ago at time of post:
 #1561951  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:40 pm Red,The twit bird went blank on you,# 3 was at Flagstaff at 2:00 am MT.
At Seligman,BNSF freight vs car added to the delay,was held out of Barstow for #4(25) station stop,
Held at Barstow station platform for EB traffic...
Weird, still shows for me, but then I'm logged into it via my browser. Looks like I need to screen-cap the tweet.
 #1561953  by J.D. Lang

I've been following #3-23 myself. Around noon yesterday it was listed as a little over 34hrs. late on the Amtrak train tracker. Checked later in the afternoon and it showed "no information available". I wonder how many passengers on that ill fated train will be future Amtrak customers. :(
 #1561988  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm sure this debacle is being "MMQB'd" (Monday Morning Quarterbacked) to death at One Mass.

Of course I don't know all the facts and parameters, but it appears Amtrak knew of the derailment incident while 3(24) was at ABQ. Why didn't they just annul it there?
 #1561994  by Backshophoss

Bus option was not useable,I 40 in AZ was closed,to detour south to the UP was a possibility but would need a pilot from the SW RR Rincon to Deming , BNSF pilot Belen to Rincon
Add the Car vs freight at Seligman to the Delay of #3(23) with a hold out at Barstow,for #4(25)and held at Barstow platform due to freight traffic
 #1562053  by STrRedWolf

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:44 pm Bus option was not useable,I 40 in AZ was closed,to detour south to the UP was a possibility but would need a pilot from the SW RR Rincon to Deming , BNSF pilot Belen to Rincon
Add the Car vs freight at Seligman to the Delay of #3(23) with a hold out at Barstow,for #4(25)and held at Barstow platform due to freight traffic
Huh, I traced this for my train travel novel.
  • BNSF from ABQ to Rincon/Hatch
  • Southwestern Railroad (handling partner) to Deming
  • UP to Phoenix
  • BNSF to West Williams Jct.
The problem is, that's before Seligman according to BNSF's route map. You could hand it off to the Arizona and California Railroad (ARZC) at Matthie and rejoin BNSF at Cadiz... but to be simple you might as well of handed it off to UP and imitated the Sunset Limited. You'd have to bustitute Gallup, Winslow, Flagstaff, Kingman, Needles, Barstow, and Victorville... which could have been done for various stops such as Tuscon, Yuma, and San Bernadino.

The question now would be "was there a contingency plan for this?"
 #1571573  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:00 am On Sunday May 16 at about 6:30 pm a truck crash on I-95 sent debris onto Amtrak at Wilmington, DE, closing the railroad for about three hrs.
https://www.wdel.com/news/i-95-closed-t ... c72c3.html
Andy
Southbound I-95 in a construction zone, with diesel and debris on tracks 2 and 3 right before the curve into Wilmington station. Ouch.
 #1571596  by electricron

Apparently full grade separation is not enough to keep non rail vehicles off railroad tracks.
But unwanted vehicles or their loads on the tracks is dangerous - remember the recent casualties in Taiwan.
Luckily this accident occur at night apparently when fewer Amtrak trains were running. Imagine if 6:30 pm was 4:30 pm what could have happen.
 #1578939  by twropr

On Aug 24 Overnight Regional train 66 left Williamsburg, VA only 8 min LT but was 8'16" LT leaving Richmond (Main St). Amtrak Twitter says freight train interference. Does anyone know whether it was a minor derailment, knuckle/drawbar issue or stalled train?
Andy