Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak NYS Empire Service - Rhinecliff Station

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1621354  by Jeff Smith

Apparently, there was some hubbub over new signage, but also news on the station included in the article: https://www.thedailycatch.org/articles/ ... assengers/
Not A Sign of the Times: Amtrak to Remove Large New Marker at Rhinecliff Station, Following Concern from Town Supervisor, Passengers
Meanwhile, several travelers welcomed the other new signage installed at the station.

Directly across from the marquee sign, at the other side of the train station entrance, Amtrak has installed a new set of blue signs directing drivers to short- and long-term parking. Passengers say the new directionals are welcome. “I hope those signs stay,” said Handel, who explained that the station previously had no clear signage directing visitors to the parking areas, a perennial struggle at the station (read our coverage). “I think these signs were long overdue,” he said.” I know they helped me because I don’t use the station frequently.”

The new signage comes as Amtrak prepares a two-year-long project to overhaul the station, repair the hub’s aging infrastructure and bring the train platform into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) (read our coverage). It’s part of a $28-million project largely orchestrated by the office of Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) (read our coverage).

The biggest upgrades will be made to the station platform. Amtrak plans to replace the existing 520-foot-long lowered platform with a new, so-called high-level platform for train boarding and disembarking that will be even with train doors. Once completed, passengers will no longer have to use step stools to board, eliminating a major travel obstacle to the elderly and those with disabilities (read our coverage). Nearby Amtrak stations in Poughkeepsie and Croton-on-Harmon both have raised platforms.

Since last December, the historic train station building has been closed for renovations. And a new ticket office, waiting room, and restrooms have been built within two giant mobile trailers in the taxi pick-up lot in front of the Rhinecliff station (read our coverage).
 #1621361  by NaugyRR

What a load of bull. The station is over two miles west of the actual village, and previously the only signs were the old US DOT green and white signs showing an F-Unit at a platform. I think it looks nice and gave a modern appearance to a relatively old station. The only complaint I would concede with is that it blocks the view of cars coming down the hill while pulling out of the upper lot, but seeing as it's such a small lot meant for permits and drop-off/pick-ups it shouldn't be THAT big a deal. The pot holes down in the actual parking area are far more unnerving. I'm all for preserving history, but you can mix modern aesthetics with history and get good results.

As far as the platform getting rebuilt, it is far overdue. That concrete is a crumbling mess and the canopy and beams are leaky and rusty.
 #1621366  by NaugyRR

I remember that, we were seat neighbors
 #1621371  by STrRedWolf

The photo in the article (go read it) is on Charles Street (Country Road 85) near Hutton Street in Rhinecliff, NY.

The station "name' signage also takes out a speed limit sign, and blocks line of sight for those turning onto Charles Street from the station itself. In other words, it's a freaking traffic hazard and it's going to cause accidents!

I'm with the residents on that one. The other signage is fine. But placing the station signage plinth in a spot where it impacts safe driving? That's a no-go in my book.
 #1621372  by NaugyRR

Rhinecliff's my home station, I promise you it's not that bad in person. The speed limit sign got moved, and it's also not the first limit drop sign (it bangs down to 35 further up the hill). We're talking a slow country road with a stop sign maybe a hundred feet south of the station drop off lot. You angle your nose south and look up the hill, my driveway to my apartment is worse to get out of.
 #1621405  by STrRedWolf

NaugyRR wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:35 pm Rhinecliff's my home station, I promise you it's not that bad in person. The speed limit sign got moved, and it's also not the first limit drop sign (it bangs down to 35 further up the hill). We're talking a slow country road with a stop sign maybe a hundred feet south of the station drop off lot. You angle your nose south and look up the hill, my driveway to my apartment is worse to get out of.
Mind me, I come from a state where speed limit signs go from 45 MPH to 35 MPH to 15 MPH without warning. This state also tends to put stop signs so far back that you have to creep over them to see incoming traffic. Oh, and Maryland drivers are mostly sane... on a good day. I have trouble looking over some neighborhood hedges in a SUV. And I'm 6' tall IRL and not slouching.

And that's what I saw there on Google Maps Street View and the photo in the article.
 #1621442  by Railjunkie

Four and change in uniform in two different crafts taught me many things about the railroad but one thing remained consistent. Rhincliffers are different. They are demanding do not like change and if they do not like you or what you are doing they will write letters and make phone calls lots of each. Even of they like you they can turn on you in a moments notice perhaps because you told them to do something they did not like, the new guy trying to enforce the rules as laid out by the company or a personal favorite trying to scam a extra ride on the old ten trip and monthly tickets and getting caught.

Letters yes they have been written but facts where conveniently left out. Like I slipped because I was wearing four inch heels in the snow and I DID NOT GRAB the hand rails as instructed. My monthly pass was expired and I DID NOT have a new one. ALL TEN of TEN trips were used. So on and so forth, these letters would normally beat you to Albany or NYP as most of the regulars had direct lines of communication to local management back in the day.
 #1622219  by Jeff Smith

The story is behind a paywall, but the headline is really the story: https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2023/05/15 ... -says/amp/

Amtrak expected to discontinue stops at Rhinecliff station temporarily if more parking can’t be found, Rhinebeck supervisor says
 #1622279  by NaugyRR

Is this a continuation of the brawl over the new signage? Or is there a legitimate reason why service needs to bypass over the lack of further parking?

Also, where the hell do they think they can expand the main lot? It's pinched between the river and the hill, with (expensive) residential properties on both ends.
 #1622338  by cle

That's kinda hilarious if it's retaliatory.

The town should run free (shuttle) buses to Rhinebeck crossroads to and from each train, for the walkable catchment. Or have a bike and scooter scheme, for those within 1-2 mile catchment. Much more progressive than every single user parking an SUV for a 5 min drive each way, each day.
 #1622341  by Jeff Smith

Without being able to read the entire article (I ain't paying) it's hard to judge just how true this is. Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe Amtrak would stop service at the station for what's obviously a town problem, not an Amtrak problem. If it were a concern for Amtrak, I think they would have either moved the station or closed it before.
 #1622350  by NaugyRR

cle wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:24 am That's kinda hilarious if it's retaliatory.

The town should run free (shuttle) buses to Rhinebeck crossroads to and from each train, for the walkable catchment. Or have a bike and scooter scheme, for those within 1-2 mile catchment. Much more progressive than every single user parking an SUV for a 5 min drive each way, each day.
There's not really much of a walkable catchment at Rhinecliff. The idea of a shuttle bus isn't a bad idea, but the bike and scooter scheme isn't quite viable.

I also think the regulars are coming from further than 5 minutes. It's a 25 minute drive from my place in Pine Plains, and others are coming from Tivoli, Germantown, Milan, Copake, Hyde Park, Kingston, etc. which are equally as long a drive if not more.
 #1623928  by Jeff Smith

You may get an error on this page; if you go to the home page, you can find the article by scrolling down.

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2023/06/12 ... to-amtrak/
Rhinebeck Town Board OKs sale of Rhinecliff station pedestrian bridge to Amtrak

RHINEBECK, N.Y. — The Town Board has agreed to sell the pedestrian bridge over the railroad tracks from the Amtrak station to the Rhinecliff station loading platforms.

Town Attorney Warren Replansky said during a meeting Monday that the sale for $10 was needed to alleviate the town’s maintenance cost.

“it’s become a burden to the town to maintain that and we reached an agreement with Amtrak that they will take over ownership of that bridge,” he said. “We’re going to deed it to them by quitclaim … and upon transfer, Amtrak is going to assume all obligations and responsibility for the care, maintenance, improvement and construction … of the passenger bridge in perpetuity.”
 #1623940  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:27 am You may get an error on this page; if you go to the home page, you can find the article by scrolling down.

https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2023/06/12 ... to-amtrak/
Funny, they had to do a token value for the transfer of ownership. I didn't see it in the article, but is the station's land Amtrak's?