Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1615914  by cle

The good news is that the noises seem like this will happen, giving 2tpd Hartford and 3tpd Springfield to Worcester and Boston. Hopefully another 2 from Albany too - giving 5 from Springfield, a pretty decent service - which will increase the case for speeding it up (and yes hopefully wires one day)
 #1615925  by lordsigma12345

If they get the CRISI grant they've applied for then the 2 New Haven - Hartford - Springfield - Boston trips will happen. The current work is to lengthen some of the sidings on the B&A, get the MAS for the B&A between Springfield and Worcester up to 79 MPH and to add a siding on the MBTA Worcester Line in Grafton for CSX's interchange with the G&U shortline in order to get that connection off the mainline.
 #1615966  by markhb

Are any of those underway now, or are they all hinging on grant money?
 #1616504  by BandA

If you recall, Governator Baker said they were planning for the grant application during his term, with the money coming available after his term ended, but if they got the application(s) in right away in January, they would be far ahead of other states which wouldn't be ready. Baker seemed to really enjoy hobnobbing with the Amtrak CEO. I think the applications came earlier than expected, in late December
 #1618637  by ElectricTraction

cle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:27 pm The good news is that the noises seem like this will happen, giving 2tpd Hartford and 3tpd Springfield to Worcester and Boston. Hopefully another 2 from Albany too - giving 5 from Springfield, a pretty decent service - which will increase the case for speeding it up (and yes hopefully wires one day)
Those traffic levels don't justify wires going up. ElectricTraction is a huge fan of electrification, but it's not the solution for every line everywhere. The Springfield Line is right on the edge of what justifies electrification, it's probably worthwhile, and Worcester-Boston certainly does, but the rest of the B&A really doesn't, especially with CSX buying Pan-Am and wanting to run freight to Maine, so freight electrification doesn't make sense on that route.

It makes more sense to modify the Springfield station with a platform on the other side for a DMU shuttle up to Greenfield, and have it run much more frequently to connect with other trains, and electrify NHV-SPG.
 #1618662  by Jeff Smith

I agree. Since the launch of CtDOT’s Hartford Line service traffic is at the tipping point for electrification. Given that infill stations may lead to more service, the time is probably right. Amtrak would most certainly love it for eliminating Regional engine changes.

The other end is more problematic. It would be a primarily MBTA project; two or three extended inland regionals are not enough for Amtrak to chip in financial support. They would need DM’s to bridge the gap. The Lake Shore would likely remain diesel.
 #1618667  by RandallW

Amtrak has ordered bi-mode trainsets for the trains traveling the Hartford line. The only question for them would be "is overhead power cheaper than diesel" since the train can use either at that point (and unless the planning has been completed on electrifying the Hartford line, those trainsets will probably be coming online before electrification could be complete).
 #1618668  by Jeff Smith

I think I do remember that. At this point, I would think CT would be all-in on electrification, and would simply order more 8's, or Sprinter-type power. So it seems Amtrak will have both types of DM power; DC and AC. Hopefully the AC DM's would be able to bridge the gap between SPG and BOS.