Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#6524  by RMadisonWI

According to a news article that I saw a day or two ago and now am too lazy to look for again, all three Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac trains will be called Wolverine Service. In addition, the first trains of the day (350/351) will run a little bit earlier than the current schedule. These changes will take effect next month with the schedule change.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Retitled from: Lake Cities, Twilight Limited to become Wolverine Service

#6531  by rob5243

Wolverine? Strange. What is this, x-men? :D

#6578  by RMadisonWI

rob5243 wrote:Wolverine? Strange. What is this, x-men? :D
Currently, the first train of the day each way (350/351) is named "The Wolverine." It's the state mascot of Michigan or something like that.

#6597  by EastCleveland

The Wolverine inherited its name from the New York Central train that served Chicago-Detroit-Buffalo-New York well into the 1960s.

#6601  by Irish Chieftain

I suppose the name "Skunk Bear" wouldn't sell tickets... :P

BTW, yet another name for the wolverine is the Glutton.

#6605  by mattfels

EastCleveland wrote:The Wolverine inherited its name from the New York Central train that served Chicago-Detroit-Buffalo-New York well into the 1960s.
As referenced in the Steely Dan song "My Old School."

#7193  by NealG

mattfels wrote:
EastCleveland wrote:The Wolverine inherited its name from the New York Central train that served Chicago-Detroit-Buffalo-New York well into the 1960s.
As referenced in the Steely Dan song "My Old School."
Yes, but does it go up to Annendale? :wink:
 #7196  by Raakone

I know...don't jump to conclusions. But most places where multiple trains have the same name...there's at least FOUR trains a day.....Cascades, Keystone, Surfliner, Capitols, San Joaquins, Downeaster, Hiawatha....so maybe this is the start of something. From what I know, the three "Wolverines" are all AMTRAK trains, pure and simple.....like Acela....no state support I don't think (Michigan's state support goes to Pere Marquette and the Train Currently Known as the International, But Not For Much Longer)

I wonder....will Amtrak come up with a distinct logo or paintscheme for the Wolverine?

~Ra'akone
 #7332  by RMadisonWI

Raakone wrote:I know...don't jump to conclusions. But most places where multiple trains have the same name...there's at least FOUR trains a day.....Cascades, Keystone, Surfliner, Capitols, San Joaquins, Downeaster, Hiawatha....so maybe this is the start of something. From what I know, the three "Wolverines" are all AMTRAK trains, pure and simple.....like Acela....no state support I don't think (Michigan's state support goes to Pere Marquette and the Train Currently Known as the International, But Not For Much Longer)
Correct, the Wolverines are part of the "national system." I don't think that necessarily means more trains are on the way soon, though.
I wonder....will Amtrak come up with a distinct logo or paintscheme for the Wolverine?
They would have no reason to. The equipment isn't dedicated to that route. I'm sure they won't if David Gunn has anything to say about it.[/quote]
 #7399  by Gilbert B Norman

Naming the multiple frequency Michigan trains with a fleet name is not all that surprising. As noted, The Wolverine State is a recognized state nickname, and Wolverine is the mascott of Univ of Mich at Ann Arbor.

Lest we forget, the Midwest Amtrak playbook already has Hiawatha Service.

What remains unanswered is will the new Chi-Port Huron service be the Blue Water or will that take the fleet service name of Wolverine as well?

I can think of one reason it will not; somehow a Michigan State student may be less inclined to ride a train named for the arch-rival. But somehow, i don't think Spartan Service has that great a "ring" to it.
 #7962  by RMadisonWI

Gilbert B Norman wrote:What remains unanswered is will the new Chi-Port Huron service be the Blue Water or will that take the fleet service name of Wolverine as well?
I think that's been clearly answered by all the press releases and soon-to-be marketing of the "Blue Water" line. Besides, they are two different routes, only sharing the line west of Battle Creek.
 #50978  by BNSF 1088

Amtrak's state supported service's within michigan are about to be shut down, unless more funding is agreed upon. Please contact your Michigan state legistator and tell them to support Amtrak service. More info is within the flyer.

Please print this flyer out and hand it out at Amtrak stations and on the trains in the state of Michigan.

http://saveourtrainsmichigan.com/printupdate.htm

This is our last chance to save the Pere Marquette and Blue water trains time is running out please if you live in Michigan please pass these flyers out at stations and on the trains.Sen Johnson will have 4 more years in office her goal is to get rid of Amtrak.

#50983  by hsr_fan

So, what you're saying is that Amtrak may have spent all that money upgrading a portion of the route for 110 mph operation for nothing?!

#50991  by RMadisonWI

No. The Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac trains are federally funded. This message is about the Blue Water and Pere Marquette.

#51084  by AmtrakFan

Is Gov. Gramholm going to pass it if it passes also does this have to do with the Earlier Bus Fiazol with Indian Trail?

AmtrakFan