• Amtrak Michigan: Wolverine, Blue Water, Pere Marquette

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 877 posts
  by justalurker66

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am Apparently there is a call to link the Pere Marquette to the other two services!!!

At New Buffalo...

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... gan-trains
The St. Joseph (Mich.) City Commission has called for building a connection that would link the routes used by Amtrak’s Pere Marquette, Blue Water, and Wolverine service in New Buffalo, Mich. WJSM radio reports this would allow all the routes to serve New Buffalo, and provide a connection for Pere Marquette passengers to trains serving the eastern part of the state. The trains travel on parallel routes through New Buffalo that cross just northeast of the city, but Pere Marquette trains do not currently stop in New Buffalo. Currently, passengers from St. Joseph and points north on the Pere Marquette would have to travel to Chicago to make a rail connection to the other route.
I legitimately thought at first that they were talking about expanding the Pere Marquette to Detroit or somewhere else to connect the two... :(

Ever since the Amtrak station was moved from the Pere Marquette line to the Michigan Central line there has been an open discussion of adding a connection and moving the Pere Marquette over to the Michigan line south/west of said connection. All it takes is money and willpower.

I don't expect a lot of people to make a connection (Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo/Detroit) through New Buffalo. But it would be good to restore the stop.
  by CraigDK

Pensyfan19 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:45 am Apparently there is a call to link the Pere Marquette to the other two services!!!

At New Buffalo...

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... gan-trains
The St. Joseph (Mich.) City Commission has called for building a connection that would link the routes used by Amtrak’s Pere Marquette, Blue Water, and Wolverine service in New Buffalo, Mich. WJSM radio reports this would allow all the routes to serve New Buffalo, and provide a connection for Pere Marquette passengers to trains serving the eastern part of the state. The trains travel on parallel routes through New Buffalo that cross just northeast of the city, but Pere Marquette trains do not currently stop in New Buffalo. Currently, passengers from St. Joseph and points north on the Pere Marquette would have to travel to Chicago to make a rail connection to the other route.

I legitimately thought at first that they were talking about expanding the Pere Marquette to Detroit or somewhere else to connect the two... :(
I think Detroit to Grand Rapids (and probably continuing to Chicago) has been talked about before, but only in a very broad visionary sense. I don't think MDOT has made any seriously proposals for it.

That said, it makes sense to run all Michigan trains from the vicinity of New Buffalo to Chicago on the same route. For the first two-thirds (Chicago-Porter) of it they do. The last third they currently don't.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I don't think many people will want to travel from Grand Rapids to Detroit by way of New Buffalo when they can just head directly to Kalamazoo and get their train to Detroit there. In fact, many of the stations served by the Pere Marquette-I wouldn't count on many passengers boarding at those other stations who would want to connect at New Buffalo for Jackson and Detroit. I could possibly see people who live in St. Josephs connecting at New Buffalo for Central and Eastern Michigan stations.
  by CraigDK

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm I don't think many people will want to travel from Grand Rapids to Detroit by way of New Buffalo when they can just head directly to Kalamazoo and get their train to Detroit there. In fact, many of the stations served by the Pere Marquette-I wouldn't count on many passengers boarding at those other stations who would want to connect at New Buffalo for Jackson and Detroit. I could possibly see people who live in St. Josephs connecting at New Buffalo for Central and Eastern Michigan stations.
I agree, I think the only people who might make a Grand Rapids to Detroit (or reverse) trip via New Buffalo would be rail fans. Rereading the article, this appears to be a bad interpretation of what is being called for.

The idea is to allow all of the Michigan routes to serve New Buffalo. It also would ensure that any work done west of New Buffalo would benefit all Michigan routes.
  by Tadman

They've talked about this in the past. The problem is that the two routes pass over each other at about 50' elevation difference. Both routes are very lightly used. PM sees 2 passenger trains and 4-5 freights /day and MC sees 8 passenger trains and 4ish local freights per day. The idea of cashing out the CSX main and running over Amtrak trackage rights is interesting, other than the swing bridge in MC might need work.
  by WesternNation

Tadman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:56 am They've talked about this in the past. The problem is that the two routes pass over each other at about 50' elevation difference. Both routes are very lightly used. PM sees 2 passenger trains and 4-5 freights /day and MC sees 8 passenger trains and 4ish local freights per day. The idea of cashing out the CSX main and running over Amtrak trackage rights is interesting, other than the swing bridge in MC might need work.
They're talking about it again. Check out page 71 of the Service Line Asset Plan FY20-25.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... Y21-25.pdf
  by nomis

Pere Marquette VS 1 TEU

Thankfully no injuries, and the 4604 needed some CSX assistance to take over as the leader for the consist to get to Chicago.

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids ... higan.html
ZEELAND, MI — A semi-truck and train collided in Zeeland Township Monday morning, spinning the truck into a nearby yard.

According to a press release from the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office, neither the truck driver nor the 59 people on the Amtrak train were injured in the crash.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office responded to the crash, which happened at 6:38 a.m. April 5.