Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1614887  by Emmett

A few questions:

1: What locomotives are going out of service?

2: will they have a second service life, and if so what will it be?

3: Does Amtrak have anything they are actively preserving or getting ready to put into service?
 #1614966  by NaugyRR

Good Morning Emmett,

Here's a few forum threads you may want to browse for answers to your questions...
Avelia/Acela II
acela-ii-avelia-liberty-design-producti ... 68906.html
Charger Locomotives
amtrak-alc-42-procurement-long-distance ... 71245.html
Intercity Trainsets
siemens-to-manufacture-83-intercity-tra ... 72991.html
Venture Coaches
siemens-venture-cars-in-revenue-service ... 73921.html
Superliner/LD Replacements
superliner-replacement-bilevel-or-singl ... 74737.html
HHP-8 Status
amtrak-hhp-8-discussion-use-reliability ... t4525.html

In short,
1: What locomotives are going out of service?
The Genesis locomotives will probably be first to get rolled out of active service as more Chargers come online and get their bugs and issues worked out. The Metroliner cab cars will probably start to be phased out at some point as more HHP-8's get converted to cab cars. Nothing is set in stone for the time being, however. Production on new equipment has been plagued with delays, and it seems equipment rolling off the line isn't getting quality checked like it used to. To put it simply, don't expect any farewell tours anytime soon.
The HHP-8's appear to be going through a trial program of being converted into cab control cars, with at least one shipped. The Genesis locomotives may find life with commuter operations and/or leasing companies, some museums might want them but that's anyone's guess.
3: Does Amtrak have anything they are actively preserving or getting ready to put into service?
The Charger locomotives are actively entering service and being updated/reworked with factory updates to resolve several reliability issues. The Acela II/Avelia trainsets are actively testing and should be in service within the next year or two. The ICTs are going to begin manufacturing in the near future. The Venture cars are being slowly dripped into service.

Hopefully this gets you started on your research journey. Remember to ask for information pertaining to a particular unit in that equipment's dedicated forum thread for quicker, more accurate replies. Have fun!
 #1614977  by lordsigma12345

Emmett wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:16 am What are ICT's?
Siemens Intercity trainset - Amtrak is branding them "Airo" trainsets. Venture based semi permanently coupled push pull trainsets being purchased essentially to replace the Amfleet 1 equipment as well as well as the Horizon and Talgo equipment being used on the Cascades. This equipment will come first to the Cascades along with two additional Charger locomotives and will be hauled by existing and the two new SC-44 locomotives. Next up they will be delivered to the Northeast Corridor, related services extending off the NEC, Keystones, and Downeaster which will come with a hybrid locomotive that will run on either diesel or catenary power. Finally the Empire Service will receive the final bunch which will get a hybrid locomotive that will run on either diesel or battery power. In addition to the Amfleet, Horizon, and Talgo equipment being retired the hybrid engines being purchased as part of the trainsets in the east will also essentially replace some of the ACS 64 units and the P42s/P40s/P32ACDM that are used for those services.
 #1614987  by Emmett

i was looking at apple maps and for me it was so old that an AEM-7 appeared in 30th street yard
 #1615024  by STrRedWolf

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:38 am
The HHP-8's appear to be going through a trial program of being converted into cab control cars, with at least one shipped. The Genesis locomotives may find life with commuter operations and/or leasing companies, some museums might want them but that's anyone's guess.
The main intent is to get the HHP-8's converted to cab cars, although some may follow MARC's lead and get reworked to be full engines to be sold off. MARC is the only commuter rail system that runs the HHP-8's.

Amtrak also has the AEM-7's that are basically retired, although some may be sent to California or Boston for newer service on electrified lines.

All of this is on the above threads, so sit back, relax, and you may want to read backwards.
 #1615087  by Emmett

I know that they were seen and recorded going to morrisville for scrapping but im looking at apple maps with a 2023 copyright sign and 5 aem-7's can be seen in overbrook yard, far back, and attached to MoW cars but there. can anyone tell me about this? [attachment=0]google maps 2016 era (AEM,SEPTA).p
Attachments:
google maps 2016 era (AEM,SEPTA).png
google maps 2016 era (AEM,SEPTA).png (4.46 MiB) Viewed 963 times
 #1615091  by MACTRAXX

Emmett wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:33 pm i was looking at apple maps and for me it was so old that an AEM-7 appeared in 30th street yard
E - Clarify yourself - Were you looking at a street view or other posted photograph?
As example Google Maps has BOTH - I have never used Apple Maps myself for the record...

The SEPTA AEM7s that were at the SEPTA Overbrook Shop facility yard were being stored after being replaced
by their own ACS64 motors for their push-pull trains before they were scrapped - see the SEPTA Forum posts
and Archives for more details...

As a map collector and geography buff I would think that seeing GG1s in Penn Coach Yard would be now old
in my opinion - now that they have been fully retired 40 years this year (1983) instead of something far more
recent...Remember that the Internet no matter where you go or what you do is only as good as the human
beings that supply said information :wink:
MACTRAXX
 #1615092  by MACTRAXX

Emmett wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:16 am What are ICT's?
ICTs are new dual-mode locomotives that are someday slated to replace some of the current ACS64
motors in NEC service along with the new Airo trainsets...They have yet to be built and is therefor unproven
and untested technology...Sigma gave some details in his reply post about the ICTs well...

From the current Amtrak five year plan - Page 132 (bottom):
(I have posted this elsewhere - appropriate to add for this topic)

"Amtrak's purchase of ICTs will reduce the number of ACS64 electric locomotives required for daily service.
As a result Amtrak will likely have surplus ACS64 locomotives available for resale or lease to commuter agencies
or the secondary market in the late 2020s. The exact quantity of units displaced and timing have not been
determined"

The Amtrak ACS64 Sprinters are not going anyplace else anytime soon...MACTRAXX
 #1615279  by Emmett

Mactraxx it was the "3D" view. So i guess the Posted image. it had the 2023 copyright on it. So I assumed it was accurate. I believe they have at least one because they lowkey need it for MoW and the Wash trains.
 #1615319  by STrRedWolf

Emmett wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:21 am Mactraxx it was the "3D" view. So i guess the Posted image. it had the 2023 copyright on it. So I assumed it was accurate. I believe they have at least one because they lowkey need it for MoW and the Wash trains.
The copyright year has nothing to do with when the photo was taken.

If you can locate that again on a desktop (Google Maps on Firefox or Chrome), copy and paste the URL once you've gotten it located.
 #1615390  by Emmett

I can't find it on google maps 🙁. I hope the last old electrics get preserved.