Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#187813  by Tom V

Thought that NJ's TTF was broke...?
Perhaps the Port Authority is involved, either way it's $2.3 Million per year.

#187829  by Jtgshu

i look at it this way, if a ny organization wants to build a new station for like 3/4 of a billion dollars, and all njt has to put out is two million and change a year, they BETTER find that money!!!

:-D

#187892  by Lackawanna484

Jtgshu wrote:i look at it this way, if a ny organization wants to build a new station for like 3/4 of a billion dollars, and all njt has to put out is two million and change a year, they BETTER find that money!!!

:-D
I had the same thought. That's a horrendous rate of return on the (taxpayer's) investment. Almost as bad as building a sports stadium...

#187938  by Steve F45

So NJT will be using the entire post office building? I hope they keep the fascade the same somewhat and make it similar to the old penn station back in the 60's.

#188030  by Mark Schweber

2005Vdub wrote:So NJT will be using the entire post office building? I hope they keep the fascade the same somewhat and make it similar to the old penn station back in the 60's.
I believe that the retail post office is remaining where it is at the front of the building.

#188034  by JoeG

I am assuming we will still be able to exit at the 7th ave end of NYP. If not, this is very unfortunate.
NJT paying for this white elephant is anything from stupid to silly, unless it is part of some deal to get NY to go along with the PA putting up more money for THE Tunnel. I assume there is some kind of deal involved, because even Warrington can't be dumb enough to do this without a quid pro quo.

#188079  by trainhq

The 34th street station is needed in order to add capacity; once the new tunnels open up, Penn won't have enough platforms. On another direction, I think it's really sad that Amtrak can't find some way of using the Post Office building too. It would really make them look much better, and IMHO would increase ridership. It doesn't send much of a message to onlookers when the flagship of your fleet is a submarine!

#188105  by Idiot Railfan

Not for nothing, but why is this named Moynihan Station? Because Pat Moynihan secured the money for it? Well, as the senator representing New York, isn't that SUPPOSED TO BE HIS JOB?!?

Same for Secaucus Jct., AKA Frank R. Lautenberg Station. Again, he gets it named after him because he helped get money for the station and other mass transportation? That's great, and I appreciate it, but isn't that SUPPOSED TO BE HIS JOB?!?

The only thing my name has been attached to for doing my job is my paycheck.

You used to have to be a dead president or at least a dead governor or war hero to get such a vast steel and stone monument named after you. Moynihan and Lautenberg stations were named not only while they were still alive, but even while they were both still in office! And Moynihan station hasn't even been started.

It seems like any politician these days can get something named after them. That diminishes the importance of the people who really should be honored.

I say name it NEW PENNSYLVANIA STATION or something like that.

Pop Quiz: How many people know the real name of the Tappan Zee Bridge is the Malcomb Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge?

A firm handshake for the first person who can identify him...

#188122  by Don31

Wasn't he a Governor of New York?

#188131  by Jtgshu

Scrap the 34th st. station now - its too far out of the way - it will be too confusing to passengers (and RR employees!!!)

Expand to the south side of the current station, where it was once studied under 31st? street and where the old power substation or whatever is behind the rickety doors on track 1. Make that a two level station. AFAIK, there is no interference wiht anything major (i.e. subways) under 31st street. With the Post office station going to be come a major destination in itself, with the retail/hotel space, and a major NJT station, integrate it into the current tunnel and station plans. Make the track layout sort of mirror the East River tunnels an approaches, with Line 3 and 4 on the very North side of hte station, straight out track 21. This way, there wouldn't be congestion with all trains using the X tracks - they would already be on the south side, and can head out the new tunnels.

Even if expanding out the south side of the station would be more of a challenge than the 34th st. station, it would be better in the long run with operations, passenger flow and station operations. Not to mention much less tunneling to get to the 34th st. station, if the new tunnels are to come in i think its under 29th st.

If I get a chance, I gotta do a little research with some info I have and see the pros/cons........

Im all about completely changing the whole THE project - build a major yard/repair facility at Linden yard, scrap the Secaucus Loop, quad track all the way to Newark instead, and build a 31st st extension of Penn/Post office station.

But what do I know, im just a railroader :-D

#188166  by JLo

Malcomb Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge?
That was not the original name for it, however. I'm fairly certain it was added later, kind of like the Harrison Williams Menlo Park Station. (Oooops, remember that one pre-Abscam?)

#188196  by Idiot Railfan

Don31 wrote:Wasn't he a Governor of New York?
A firm handshake to Don. Jlo is right, too, that Malcolm Wilson was added later (in 1994). Wilson served as governor for a few months to finish Nelson Rockefeller's fourth term after Rockefeller became vice president. He lost to Mario Cuomo for a full term.

You get a three-mile-long bridge named after you for being acting governor for a few months? Is America great or what?!?

#188200  by SILVERTRAIN

Idiot Railfan wrote:Not for nothing, but why is this named Moynihan Station? Because Pat Moynihan secured the money for it? Well, as the senator representing New York, isn't that SUPPOSED TO BE HIS JOB?!?

Same for Secaucus Jct., AKA Frank R. Lautenberg Station. Again, he gets it named after him because he helped get money for the station and other mass transportation? That's great, and I appreciate it, but isn't that SUPPOSED TO BE HIS JOB?!?

The only thing my name has been attached to for doing my job is my paycheck.

You used to have to be a dead president or at least a dead governor or war hero to get such a vast steel and stone monument named after you. Moynihan and Lautenberg stations were named not only while they were still alive, but even while they were both still in office! And Moynihan station hasn't even been started.

It seems like any politician these days can get something named after them. That diminishes the importance of the people who really should be honored.

I say name it NEW PENNSYLVANIA STATION or something like that.

Pop Quiz: How many people know the real name of the Tappan Zee Bridge is the Malcomb Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge?

A firm handshake for the first person who can identify him...

Well at least the money was secured to get a new station. Otherwise we can stay in the same rat hole and rename it......HALIBURTON STATION

#188202  by Irish Chieftain

Not for nothing, but why is this named Moynihan Station? Because Pat Moynihan secured the money for it? Well, as the senator representing New York, isn't that SUPPOSED TO BE HIS JOB
The name "Moynihan Station" is for Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who died back in 2003.

#188204  by E-44

IIRC, Pat Moynihan was pretty vocal when the original Penn Station was torn down and he had been a frequent critic of the present mess. He was certainly not a "Johnny-come-lately" to the concept of an improved rail gateway to Manhattan.

Compare that to, say, NJ Governor Brendan Byrne who had the Meadowlands arena named after him and I think I can support calling it Moynihan station.