Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak/LIRR Moynihan Train Hall

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1559910  by STrRedWolf

ExCon90 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:26 pm
west point wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:24 am How does the 8th ave subway interfere with access. Remember hearing that subway roaring overhead when on the Penn stations platforms.
The longer platforms extend west of 8th Avenue after passing under the subway. I think mail moved directly from the Post Office to the platforms below, and passengers will do essentially the same thing.
From all the designs I saw, the Post Office is on the main floor while passengers will be below it.
 #1559911  by lordsigma12345

The upper level of the train hall which includes the metropolitan lounge as well as a retail mezzanine are on the same level as the post office. Not sure if you can pass between the post office and train hall.

There are seven escalators and elevators to access tracks 5-17 - the middle tracks. There is also direct access to the west end concourse - I’m guessing via escalators and elevators where those same 13 tracks as well as 18-21 are accessible (the ones at the top/north side of the diagram). From there one can also walk to the existing LIRR concourse.
 #1559924  by west point

Boy. Boarding a long Silver service train in coach will be a long walk once down on the platforms. there is also the problem of passing current stairs and escalators that cause a narrow passage past the stairway and tracks.
 #1559930  by Train60

Amtrak released this video a few days ago --

Too bad they didn't prepare this using an actual drone flying through the space, like some real estate agents do today.
Last edited by Train60 on Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1559953  by marco

Wondering if anyone from this website is planning on showing up on "Opening Day" Can a meetup be planned of like rail-minds?
 #1559957  by Matt Johnson

marco wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 am Wondering if anyone from this website is planning on showing up on "Opening Day" Can a meetup be planned of like rail-minds?
I'm eager to see the new train hall but will likely wait until I'm Covid vaccinated before making a field trip to NYC.
 #1559967  by TDowling

Most definitely I will be there on opening day. However, I’m a little confused as to whether NJT trains/tracks will be posted/announced in the new hall. If not then the only conceivable way for NJ passengers to use it is if they were to look on DepartureVision and plan accordingly.

I’m game for a meetup! :-D
 #1560021  by andegold

Departurevision is (can) be better anyway. I used to have a shortcut to it on my phone when I was a commuter. Single tap took me right to it without going through the app. I think I also saved my top three or four stations as bookmarks in the browser.

There are several advantages to Departurevision - checking the board on your way to the station so you don't have to stop and look when you get there; it sometimes posts a few seconds before the main boards giving you a head start; it tends to stay up 30 seconds to a minute longer than the main board giving you time to get down to the track when you're running late and the train has cleared the main board.
 #1560042  by Pensyfan19

Just found interior photos of Moynihan Train Hall via reddit. I must say, it looks great! Can't wait to visit there, after COVID of course.

#1560046  by Pensyfan19

Train60 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm Does anyone know if Cuomo is planning a New Years Eve party in the new Train Hall for his invited guests. He did this when the Second Avenue Subway opened a few years ago - https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/nyre ... s-eve.html
Looks like he just had the welcoming party. This live stream ended 2 hours ago, but it's still watchable as a video.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1RDGlPpNpjRGL
 #1560057  by lensovet

Looks like the January 1 opening date is official. NYT has two articles up: one related to the project in general and another specifically highlighting the artwork installations inside. Nice photos in both.