Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak HHP-8 Discussion: Use, Reliability, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1609133  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. White, I think we are on the same page - the A-I's I noted during my "railfanning in Riverside" last May sure looked tired.

And if these ICT's (guess that's official for the moment and not railfanese; they'll get an official fleet name soon enough) are anything like the noted RailJets, all I can say with some 2000 miles of riding in such over the past eight years. they are darned good equipment sets.
 #1609147  by Allouette

F40PHs were prohibited from Penn Station in any direction, and by extension ex-F40 cab cars would also be unacceptable there. Since the HHP-8 conversions are for the Ethan Allen (direction change at Rutland for the extension to Burlington) the use of converted HHP-8s makes loads of sense.
 #1609156  by Matt Johnson

RandallW wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:33 pm Aren't the ex-Metroliner cab cars the oldest equipment in the Amtrak roster in revenue service? I'd think that if the HHP-8s are replacing anything, it would be those units.
I believe they are. First Metroliners rolled out in 1967, revenue service began in 1969.
 #1609158  by Gilbert B Norman

I think all concerned should take heart that as these HHP-8 units come off lease, Amtrak will be able to acquire them for likely scrap value.

They certainly open up more opportunities to operate trains with NPCU's through Penn. While the Boston-Roanoke example I noted with both an ACS-64 and P-42 as well as the NPCU HHP-8 is a bit extreme, it could potentially happen. As the new Amtrak owned (as distinct from that owned by several State agencies) motive power enters revenue service, there could still be some P-42's with service life remaining - and looking for assignments.
 #1609160  by The EGE

The ex-Metroliner cab cars are the oldest Amtrak-owned equipment in regular service. The 1968 Comet IB cars used on the San Joaquins and the 1952-1965 equipment used on the Piedmont are older, though both are comparatively recent to Amtrak usage.

Regardless, the Amfleet replacement order includes 15 six-car diesel/battery trainsets for Empire Corridor services, including the Ethan Allen Express, which have an integrated cab car. Every other service that uses cab cars is also going to be using Venture cab cars (Amfleet replacements or the Midwest/CA order), save for the CA routes that will also have their existing bilevel cab cars on some trains.
 #1609162  by R36 Combine Coach

Metroliners are older than the Comarrows. The latter were in late '68 (though mothballed in 1980 and rebuilt
eight years later), the Metroliners were in 1967 (but not in service until 1969).
Last edited by R36 Combine Coach on Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1609163  by Gilbert B Norman

No question whatever, Mr. EGE, if there is revenue seating available in the "control" car, such as there is with the surviving Metroliner cars, all the better.

Be it assured that the OBB and CD RailJets have revenue seating in their control cars - and lest one wonder, there are grade X-ings throughout Austria and presumably Czechia.
 #1609360  by jp1822

OK, I may have missed this, so sorry in advance…..

Amtrak had about 15 HHP-8’s. Is this a definite that they are converting the HHP8s for NPCU use, and does anyone know how many units will go in service?

I’ve noticed this HHP8’s in an “interesting formation” out of the Wilmington Shops. Not sure if they’ve been moved recently or not. They definitely had their operational issues, but when they did run, they could MOVE!

Will take a while for the ICE train sets to get on the road, so converting the HHP8’s into NPCU’s, now that Amtrak seems to have clear ownership, makes sense. There was talk about doing this to the AEM7’s, but it never came to be.
 #1617094  by Emmett

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if the HHP-8 NPCU's have been seen in/around the greater philadelphia or Southern NJ area. I got a rumor from a friend (@Halgoonta) that a HHP-8 NPCU had been spotted being moved to/ in the direction of 30th ST station. This is just a general question that will hopefully benefit many.
 #1617102  by Gilbert B Norman

First, here's a topic that had been dormant for some time:

amtrak-hhp-8-discussion-use-reliability ... t4525.html

Now to very briefly sum up things as I have learned from around here. As the ACS-64's were delivered the HHP-8's were withdrawn and sent to live at the "Wilmington Rest Home".

To complicate matters, these fifteen engines were all leased - and from lessors not having any connection to transportation. Adding to the difficulty, Amtrak had cannibalized some parts that were interchangeable with the Acela Power Units. This of course had "Glen Lerner is the Lawyer for You...." licking his chops.

Now it appears that Amtrak and the Lessors have come to agreement to allow some of these units to become 906XX NPCU's, which certainly makes sense in view of that the '67 vintage Metroliners converted for such use are simply worn out and Amtrak clearly wants sets assigned to the Corridor to be bi-directional.

That "taps me out"; defer to others for more on this perfectly legitimate inquiry.
 #1617104  by STrRedWolf

Mr Normal has most of the gist but definitely go through that thread (read from the most recent to the least to speed things up, and use the search on the site for future queries). Amtrak has bought back the old HHP-8's and are making them "Non-Powered Cab Units".

If you see an HHP-8 on the NEC, check the paint scheme. The only full-powered HHP-8's being run now are in Maryland for the MARC service along the NEC ("Penn Line")... and that has other history there that are in other threads here. Use the search feature of this site to find out more.