Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1585980  by amtrakowitz

RT&S
In a milestone event, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced on Dec. 1 the issuing of a permit to allow construction of the tunnel and tracks under the Hudson River. The Hudson Tunnel Project looks to have finally broken through the last barrier leading to construction. …

The Gateway Development Corporation said federal financing for the Hudson Tunnel Project could be ready by the end of 2022. The project is expected to be complete in 2035. …
In spite of the enthusiasm permeating the article, the “could” still haunts everything. And while that “could” indicates a completion time of 13 years, recall that the PRR completed the North River Tunnels in two.
 #1585997  by Gilbert B Norman

Well, I will just have to have a six foot long "periscope" dug so I can keep an eye on this project (my age is at my profile).

Bet Noel and Randy would also appreciate same (I knew both these gentlemen face to face).
 #1586013  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:03 am Well, I will just have to have a six foot long "periscope" dug so I can keep an eye on this project (my age is at my profile).

Bet Noel and Randy would also appreciate same (I knew both these gentlemen face to face).
We'll have to keep track of your final "berthing track" so some of us can come and bring news. :)
 #1589913  by Tom V

The FTA raised the Gateway Project’s rating, clearing it for Federal funding.
The financing plan for Gateway’s first phase requests nearly $5.5 billion in federal funds, about 44% of the total project cost. Amtrak committed nearly $1.3 billion, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will chip in $2.1 billion, and the remaining $3.35 billion would be split using state funds from New York and New Jersey.
https://www.northjersey.com/story/news ... 598352001/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1589984  by SRich

Will with the rehab of the old tunnels, more blocks and signal added instead of 2 blocks?
 #1590020  by lensovet

SRich wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:49 pm Will with the rehab of the old tunnels, more blocks and signal added instead of 2 blocks?
I don't think anyone has thought this far ahead
 #1590083  by ExCon90

They've already done it at least from the first interlocking west of the tunnel portals to HUDSON. Maybe an engineer who regularly operates there can report on whether it keeps traffic moving better than before. However, I think they'd have to keep the eastward controlled home signal at the bottom of the grade inside the tunnel (it's a CP with a name, but I forget what it is); it permits the dispatcher to hold an eastbound train there (with the entire train on the downgrade) until a clear route to a platform is available.
 #1591116  by RRspatch2

SRich wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:49 pm Will with the rehab of the old tunnels, more blocks and signal added instead of 2 blocks?
The current plan on the corridor is to roll out rule 562 everywhere. This is cab signals/speed control without wayside signals except at Interlocking. I suppose more cab signal changeover points could mean shorter blocks which could in theory increase throughput.
 #1598622  by eolesen

an opportunity to spend as much of the public’s money as possible, rather than doing a necessary job smartly, swiftly and efficiently
What a great line... applies to so many "green" and "infrastructure" projects.....

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1604438  by Defiant

Dcell wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:11 pm https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny- ... story.html
Absolute nonsense and lies. The part of Gateway that everyone is focusing on are the two new tunnels. And that is 14 billion dollars, not 35!!!! And they are still urgently needed as the old ones are in very bad shape and will probably start having leaks and more serious issue in a few years.

The Penn South portion of the project is in preliminary stage with no firm design and no funding. I agree that this work might not be needed now due to lowered ridership because of Covid. I would wait a couple of years before even starting to think about the expansion.
Last edited by Defiant on Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1604445  by west point

Just for their audience. LIRR , MNRR, and subways. Sells papers and get those riders upset calling for gateway funds for their pet projects.