• Amtrak Express suspended as of Oct 1 2020

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by eolesen

Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
  by bostontrainguy

eolesen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:44 am Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
I've been in the Boston baggage room a few times and there is plenty of room for additional shipments and employees who are always there on staff. Adding a pallet jack if necessary would probably be all that's needed. My wife moves around a pallet jack at the grocery store she works at. Really no big deal. I think the infrastructure is in place in the larger stations at least.
  by eolesen

What do the union workrules for Amtrak allow in terms of cross utilization and lifting?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by David Benton

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:03 am
eolesen wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:44 am Just because the baggage cars are there doesn't mean that they want to dedicate resources to having to handle the shipments. I've always viewed it as a manpower heavy operation that probably couldn't cover its costs.
I've been in the Boston baggage room a few times and there is plenty of room for additional shipments and employees who are always there on staff. Adding a pallet jack if necessary would probably be all that's needed. My wife moves around a pallet jack at the grocery store she works at. Really no big deal. I think the infrastructure is in place in the larger stations at least.
I don't think the shown oallet mover would lift to the height of the baggage car door, and would be very slow if it could do so . Really need a forklift.
  by bostontrainguy

Boston and all of the Northeast Corridor are high-level platforms of course. Yes, forklifts would be needed for low level territory.

The point is that there are employees in place to do this.