Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Engineer on "Junkyard Wars"

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#629638  by Gare_NY

Seriously? Nobody has ever mentioned/noticed this before? (At least not according to my search attempts).

I've been catching up on old episodes of "Junkyard Wars" on The Science Channel - this is that show where two teams are tasked with building something from scrap parts in a junk yard, with only 10 hours to complete the build. Examples would be to build a device that can shoot a pumpkin, or piece together a drag racer. (My favourite of all time - they had to make a coffee grinder, but without any electric parts - the winning team ended up building a windmill, as I recall).

In any event, the one I saw this weekend had the two teams build a device that could ride the rails, but it also had to have good braking ability, lest they hit the cone-with-the-egg that sat past the finish line. Each of these episodes has a judge of sorts, an expert in the particular field that the deivces are being built for. In this case, it was one "John Paterson" (spelling comes from the closed captioning), and he said he was an engineer on the Sunset Limited, I believe.

Has this person ever showed up here, or does anyone know him? I was honestly surprised that this has never been brought up here before.

This is the website - the episode is due to play agin on February 11th. http://science.discovery.com/tv-schedul ... x&start=20

Gare_NY