Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Empire Service (New York State)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1529927  by njtmnrrbuff

It would be great if the Empire Corridor west of Schenectady was faster than it presently is. I haven't ridden west of Schenectady in a while but from what I remember, the right of way is straight in many spots. Wherever there is single track, it should be expanded. It seems like stations like Syracuse can use a second platform. Many stops west of Schenectady are very far a part from each other, especially Syracuse and Rochester.
 #1529933  by Allouette

There's no single track between of Buffalo and Hoffmans, the junction for Selkirk Yard. The only single track remaining is the roughly nine miles between Hoffmans and Schenectady, which Amtrak/NYDOT could make double, but they haven't shown a lot of interest in doing so...
CSX could, and should demand a high price as the old Water Level Route is pretty much irreplaceable as a no-grade freight route.
 #1529939  by Greg Moore

Honestly as much as I support speeding up service weest of Albany, I think the focus should START with improving speeds south of Albany. Trains that I recall taking 2:20 are often now carded at 2:30 or more. We're going backwards.
 #1529940  by njtmnrrbuff

Nine miles of remaining single track on an important corridor can be a serious issue. There are plenty of universities in the towns along the Empire Corridor west of Schenectady. In addition, there are several vacation spots very close to the Empire Corridor west of Albany. The northern part of the Finger Lakes isn't terribly far from the Water Level Route. It would be great if there was faster and more frequent rail options west of Albany.
 #1529963  by east point

Here is a speculation plan to get HrSR west of Albany. Of course get HrSR south of Albany at same time as this proposal. This is the speculation that VA as well is going to accomplish phased to just 2030 at present.
1. Purchase a 2 track ROW from west of Albany to NY / PA border. VA is in final actions to do this on the RF&P ROW. NYC RR removed the 2 outer tracks in most places. As I understand most stations are south of the present tracks. There will be long process to get CSX on the north side of the ROW.
2. Build new track north for freights in sections ( call this track 1 ) and have the south track ( track 3 ) at those location become HrSR sidings owned by NY state.
3. Connect the north track #1 CSX sections which will give CSX a full track and the south track #3 can be converted to HrSR with CPs for passenger trains to pass each other with one train on the now CSX freight track #2..
4. Build HrSR sidings ( new #4 ) south of the track #3 so passenger trains will not have to use track #2..
5. Connect Track #4s sidings to have two parallel HrSR tracks.
6. This will probably take over 60 -80 years to complete.
The big 800 pound gorilla is how to purchase the ROW . It might be best for NY state to purchase the ROW under track #3 and empty ROW for future track $4. That would cut CSX property taxes in the short run ?
 #1529999  by mtuandrew

I think that’s a sound plan, east point. It could get ticklish in Rochester, the freight bypass is on the south side but the majority of the freight infrastructure & interchanges are on the north side. Would also require crossing over in Buffalo.

Maybe we pause on Buffalo-Erie-Cleveland until we can get a tri-state coalition to agree on terms. Down south, Virginia and North Carolina at least have a common vision and goals for passenger rail; neither Ohio nor Pennsylvania are too interested in funding new service especially to out-of-state destinations.
 #1530019  by east point

mtuandrew wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:48 pm I think that’s a sound plan, east point. It could get ticklish in Rochester, the freight bypass is on the south side but the majority of the freight infrastructure & interchanges are on the north side. Would also require crossing over in Buffalo.
mtuandrew Thanks for the reminder. Knew about Buffalo but completely forgot about Rochester. Probably NY state could just start out with at grade crossovers at those 2 locations. Just leave room for an eventual 2 track flyover of the CSX tracks at those locations. Been too long not been there. Passenger flyovers probably needed 40 years in future ?
 #1530034  by mtuandrew

Looks like there’s a pinch point at Amsterdam, where the station is on the north side and there’s no room between the tracks and the river. In order to successfully move all passenger service to the south tracks, you might need to move the station altogether. Two options: Lock 11 or Riverlink Park (with public access and parking at Amsterdam Riverfront Center.)
 #1530044  by njtmnrrbuff

The station in Amsterdam should be moved much closer to the downtown area rather than keep it where it is. That would not only enable people to be dropped off in the downtown area. Yes, it would help enable a second platform to be built.
 #1530049  by Railjunkie

Not for nothing but... Where is all this money coming from for this grand plan? NYS dosen't have it. People are leaving this state account the high tax rate, Ill be one of them in about 9 years.
 #1530055  by mtuandrew

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:31 am Not for nothing but... Where is all this money coming from for this grand plan? NYS dosen't have it. People are leaving this state account the high tax rate, Ill be one of them in about 9 years.
I can’t speak to New York State’s finances, but it’s possible that the higher minimum wage will lead to more income tax revenue overall. One can only borrow so much money after all without sufficient collateral.
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:39 am The station in Amsterdam should be moved much closer to the downtown area rather than keep it where it is. That would not only enable people to be dropped off in the downtown area. Yes, it would help enable a second platform to be built.
Yep, that was why I like Riverlink Park as a potential location in particular. You can’t really get much more downtown, parking and associated retail is available at the Riverview Center, there’s a pedestrian bridge across the highway and tracks already, and there is room for a third and eventual fourth track. That said I’ve never been to Amsterdam and don’t know what Riverview Center is like, or if it’s the kind of place where you would want a train station.
 #1530068  by Railjunkie

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 am
Railjunkie wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:31 am Not for nothing but... Where is all this money coming from for this grand plan? NYS dosen't have it. People are leaving this state account the high tax rate, Ill be one of them in about 9 years.
I can’t speak to New York State’s finances, but it’s possible that the higher minimum wage will lead to more income tax revenue overall. One can only borrow so much money after all without sufficient collateral.

Borrowing isnt the answer NYS credit rating has been like a yo yo for the past ten years. Herr Coumo dosen't give two shits about anything north of Westchester. If you saw a bill he recently passed you would think he didn't care about anyone in the state.

People are leaving the state how could an increase in the minimum wage help. There is not a lot of manufacturing jobs left in NY. Most of the cities are slowly dying because of this. The taxes fall onto the residence not the large companies that were once major employers.
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:39 am The station in Amsterdam should be moved much closer to the downtown area rather than keep it where it is. That would not only enable people to be dropped off in the downtown area. Yes, it would help enable a second platform to be built.
Yep, that was why I like Riverlink Park as a potential location in particular. You can’t really get much more downtown, parking and associated retail is available at the Riverview Center, there’s a pedestrian bridge across the highway and tracks already, and there is room for a third and eventual fourth track. That said I’ve never been to Amsterdam and don’t know what Riverview Center is like, or if it’s the kind of place where you would want a train station.
Downtown Amsterdam is a dump and has been for many many years. Moving the station a mile or so east isnt going to change a thing other than put it back sorta where it was.