Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1557767  by Maverickstation1

The suspension of Traditional Dining Car Service on the western trains is now through May 21, 2021.

Service Change
Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through May 21, 2021, customers in private rooms will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.
 #1557808  by STrRedWolf

Maverickstation1 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:18 am The suspension of Traditional Dining Car Service on the western trains is now through May 21, 2021.

Service Change
Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through May 21, 2021, customers in private rooms will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.
Don't be surprised if this is extended again past July.
 #1560841  by Gilbert B Norman

Interesting article insomuch as there have been reports here and other sites of passengers collecting their "Flex-Meals", taking perhaps one bite, then heaving the rest.

Now it appears that airlines are addressing the same issue:

https://www.inkstonenews.com/food/airli ... le/3117202

Fair Use:
…Japan Airlines is the latest aviation company to join the fight in reducing food wastage - which contributes to more than six million tons of cabin waste globally.

The airline is now asking travelers to make an “ethical choice” by skipping meals on board their flights in a bid to deal with the problem.

Since the airline prepares a meal for every person on board, a passenger who would rather sleep through meal service, or prefers to bring their own in-flight snacks, results in an enormous amount of wasted food

While many airlines provide an option to say “no thank you” to meal service during the flight, Japan Airlines’ approach means that no extra meals are prepared and then thrown away.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) figures show that in 2018, airlines generated 6.1 million tons of cabin waste globally, of which 20% to 30% to unconsumed food and drink.

JAL spokesman Mark Morimoto said that data prior to the pandemic showed that 10% of their passengers skipped meals on red-eye – or late-night – flights.

Inspired by the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s), Japan Airlines implemented the trial campaign on selected overnight flights.

With few people flying due to the pandemic, a gradual rollout is planned.

The program is being trialed on the five-and-a-half-hour red-eye (or late night) JL34 flight, which leaves Bangkok at 10:05pm, bound for Tokyo Haneda
Good grief, I'm paying for it - and plenty when I go overseas in Business Class, where in common with others around here who "treat themselves likewise", find the food and wine offerings to be "quite good".
 #1560895  by STrRedWolf

Relevant quote from above:
Passengers can now choose to opt-out of meals ahead of their flights by registering their preference on the airline’s website or by phone once they’ve confirmed their reservation, similar to the way they might request a gluten-free or vegetarian option in advance.

As a thank you, guests are rewarded with a JAL-branded amenity kit, containing items such as a toothbrush and an eye mask.
 #1567073  by STrRedWolf

Weird question for everyone. Are the coffee makers in the Cafe and Dining cars of a specification to work properly at 125 MPH, survive crashes, etc? I'm kinda wondering if FRA (or whatever agency) would actually require such a specification.

Why I ask? Well, I think Starbucks make their own equipment... but putting it in a train's dining car would be ill advised. Or even back in their stores. I swear they intentionally brew it so it burns the beans... and I have a bit of a running gag on it in my Throng novels.
 #1567087  by Greg Moore

They're definitely locked in place. I seem to recall them being based on what I've seen in aircraft. They're not your standard coffee shop carafe.
 #1567123  by Arborwayfan

Asking pax to order ahead seems sensible. Laying in a supply of meals that must be tossed if not used on a particular run, without asking if people actually want to eat them, seems silly.

If the idea is to prevent waste I'd offer a small cash refund instead of an "amenity kit" (from JAL). On a train, where there are people getting on and off all the time with different meal desires and needs, it might make sense to offer certain foods by reservation only (the more expensive and more perishable items; frozen burgers in the cafe aren't wasted if no on buys them on that particular run) and/or to offer an incentive to order early rather than a requirement. (More than once I've booked overnight ferry tickets (Norway, Baltic, Bay of Fundy) that offered a chance to pre-order a meal for something like 75% of the cash walkup price.)
 #1568107  by gokeefe

STrRedWolf wrote:Don't be surprised if this is extended again past July.
Based on the latest efforts to return to full service I would not be surprised to see complete dining return on or around May 21, 2021. Should be interesting to see if anything comes out ahead of time.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1568854  by lordsigma12345

Had probably my best ever Amtrak meal on the Auto Train tonight - - flat iron steak with bourbon sauce and mashed potato - far better than the steak meal I had on the same train in 2019. I wonder if they have changed anything. The menu in general this trip is quite a step up over my last trip - while all other trains are dining “flexibly” it appears auto train may have received an improvement.
 #1568855  by STrRedWolf

lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 pm Had probably my best ever Amtrak meal on the Auto Train tonight - - flat iron steak with bourbon sauce and mashed potato - far better than the steak meal I had on the same train in 2019. I wonder if they have changed anything. The menu in general this trip is quite a step up over my last trip - while all other trains are dining “flexibly” it appears auto train may have received an improvement.
I would think Amtrak would do some experimentation on the Auto Train. Maybe it found some better cuts of steak for cheaper, or switched suppliers.