Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1545707  by Jeff Smith

I've been looking at cross-country trips recently (a bucket list item) with my girlfriend, and of course, given the topic here and disdain, have been keeping updated. I also checked VIA's site for the Toronto-Vancouver run. Oh. My. Lord. They do it right! You may have to travel "Premium", but it's worth it. Look at this menu (I converted the PDF off the site)! DUCK! VEAL! TROUT!
Attachments:
(157.31 KiB) Downloaded 2069 times
 #1545728  by Tadman

I seem to remember that the good meals were offered to the sections passengers, at least September 2017. But Via considers sections more like coach with beds than sleepers. Do some investigation here if you ride. That said, you might not want sleeper if you're with a girlfriend or significant other. She might not enjoy the top bunk, and there is no area common to both bunks but not completely public. When one leaves his or her bed, one is out in the hallway. It was just fine solo, but should be subject to a informed consent with non-railfan SO's.
 #1545733  by Jeff Smith

I did see the differences in sleeping accommodations; we'll be sure to book accordingly. I don't mind the upper bunk (it doesn't appear that they have a bedroom set up). In any case, I was just pointing out the HUGE difference between meals on Amtrak vs. VIA.
 #1545744  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:41 am I've been looking at cross-country trips recently (a bucket list item) with my girlfriend, and of course, given the topic here and disdain, have been keeping updated. I also checked VIA's site for the Toronto-Vancouver run. Oh. My. Lord. They do it right! You may have to travel "Premium", but it's worth it. Look at this menu (I converted the PDF off the site)! DUCK! VEAL! TROUT!
Christmas-time run across the continent on Via? Hopefully they'll have the Canadian running again in November.

That said, THIS MENU PLEASE.
 #1545750  by Alphaboi

Jeff Smith wrote:I did see the differences in sleeping accommodations; we'll be sure to book accordingly. I don't mind the upper bunk (it doesn't appear that they have a bedroom set up). In any case, I was just pointing out the HUGE difference between meals on Amtrak vs. VIA.
Agreed, Via has much better catering than Amtrak. This was my breakfast on the way to Quebec City; it cost me CA$10 and was served to me at my economy seat.Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1545756  by gokeefe

That is a very nice looking breakfast indeed.

I just wish Amtrak would try selling the same and charging whatever they must to cover their costs. They probably would still sell just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1545851  by Tadman

Here's an interesting question: What is the financial difference to Amtrak between a Superliner diner and a V-2 diner? One has 72 seats, one has 40. Are there more employees making it still a hefty loss? Does the extra seating have an effect on the bottom line?
 #1545856  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Alphaboi, for one whose idea of Breakfast is Pork Sausage, Bacon, and Eggs (my usual at hotel Breakfast Bars; unless they've become a permanent CV casualty), all I see there is "stuff others eat".

But then those folk, apparently yourself, don't have this writer's 78yo waistline reflecting preference for the latter.
 #1545864  by Alphaboi

There was a cooked breakfast fast with eggs & stuff, but I wanted something lighter. I really enjoyed the fruit. I was a little dehydrated after my overnight bus from NYC.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#1545888  by Westernstar1

I've had several good meals aboard a VIA "Canadian" train. I hope the "Canadian" returns afterr Covid 19 is "gone with the wind".

I'm sorry, Mr. Alphaboi, but the photo of your breakfast plate doesn't look very tasty.

Here is my idea of really good and "contemporary" meals aboard a train:

https://is.gd/j6mpia

You probably won't see this aboard Amtrak.

The Napa Valley Wine Train is a little expensive, about $160-$240 depending on what seating you get. It's about a 3 hr trip from Napa to St Helena and back.

Richard
 #1546968  by Gilbert B Norman

https://youtu.be/zFyKNrkIEmM

I understand that somewhere within this hour long "celebrity chef" presentation, there is a rant about the state of Amchow.

I'll be darned if I'm going to wade through it all, but possibly someone more familiar with can identify where the rant occurs and share the location of such here.