Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Culture Fit Assessment (CFA)

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1460072  by tundraboomer

They don't say. You take it, and the questions vary depending on the position you have applied for, then they notify you at their convenience if you are advancing to the next step, which is the medical evaluation. They never tell you how you did on the CFA but I would imagine that if you don't hear from them again, or you get a rejection letter, your answers weren't satisfactory by their standard.
 #1460163  by tundraboomer

No, I'm saying that test-takers don't know the scoring method or if it's pass-fail. Amtrak is very secretive about it's hiring process, they don't tell you much when you take these tests. I doubt anyone outside of the higher links on the food chain in HR, and the actual company administering the test (AON http://www.aon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) know either. The only way to find out is to take the test and wait.
 #1461073  by Acela150

I was once told by an HR rep a couple years ago at a Hiring Session for AC, that the test will put you into one of three categories. Strong Fit, Medium Fit, Poor Fit. But that was 2 years ago and could have changed by now. Truth be told I'm pretty sure that fellow isn't at Amtrak anymore and didn't really seem like a reliable source. Nowadays they issue the CFA, and other tests to filter people out for jobs. Which IMO saves HR time and possibly money. I took several different tests. I was recently asked to take some type of physical test for an AC job in the NEC. But I had to decline as I was hired by Amtrak in January and can't transfer departments until I have one year in at the company.
 #1461592  by Acela150

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:
Acela150 wrote:But I had to decline as I was hired by Amtrak in January and can't transfer departments until I have one year in at the company.
It's my understanding that the one year requirement is no more.
Welp the HR rep told me I needed one year in. So I'd believe it. It's whatever though. I'm in no rush to get back to T&E service.
 #1462087  by Onrala7

Well I pass my (CFA) for AC position recently... was contacted and sent to take strength test and after that job status change to we look forward to seeing you soon about position.. is there a timeframe that HR will contact me about interview? Pretty excited due to that i’ve never in my life got this far in the process. Amtrak is pretty tough to break into...
 #1462842  by Onrala7

So to update I got a interview date for a AC position!... I am so excited but pretty nervous at the same time..going to hope for the best and if it’s in God’s plan then it shall happen wish me luck!
 #1463836  by Onrala7

Hey guys so to update interview for AC position was completed this week... just waiting on results now and keeping a silent prayer that results were favorable.. the whole process & journey has been interesting most definitely. Maybe I will be training in Wilmington to become a future AC soon wish me luck!
 #1464138  by tundraboomer

I applied for that AC position in L.A. Got a note yesterday that the position was cancelled. It's been happening a lot lately. If they let you keep your interview appointment, do it. They can use it for the position when it's reposted, or for other positions you apply for.
 #1464152  by Onrala7

tundraboomer wrote:I applied for that AC position in L.A. Got a note yesterday that the position was cancelled. It's been happening a lot lately. If they let you keep your interview appointment, do it. They can use it for the position when it's reposted, or for other positions you apply for.

Cancelled?... Ohhh that doesn’t sound good... candidates CFA and strength test results are good for one year correct? Hopefully I will hear some information soon.
 #1464171  by tundraboomer

Never mind, my bad. The e-mail I got was for a AC position in Sacramento. I had to look up the job posting I.D. number to figure it out. I don't even know why they sent it, I got a thanks-but-no-thanks letter for that position months ago. The only AC position I have an open app for is L.A. so I assumed it was for that. It appears that one is still in play. Carry on. Sorry about the confusion.