Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Crescent Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1470417  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget, Amtrak has been confronted with A-II write-offs from both Kaycee and Chester (latter might be returned to service once the Legal Beagles release such) and committing four cars to this apparently wasteful service on 19-20, Crescent, is too great a burden on equipment starved Amtrak.
 #1470462  by Philly Amtrak Fan

electricron wrote:More likely would be an extension of the Crescent to Houston after the Sunset Limited is retired.
Might as well go all the way to San Antonio then as they have storage/maintenance facilities there and you would have connections with the Texas Eagle although I'm sure the timing would require overnight stays in the Alamo City.

Cancel the two non daily trains, extend the Crescent to San Antonio, extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando, and close the maintenance facilities in New Orleans (wouldn't need them as the Crescent and CONO wouldn't terminate there anymore). The two extra Viewliners used on the Cardinal are used on the Crescent extension and the extra Superliners saved on canceling the SL are used on the CONO extension so I don't believe any more train sets would be required. All trains would have daily service, Houston would still have service, and the Gulf Coast route would be restored. The biggest market to lose service would be Cincinnati. Tuscon and El Paso would also be losses. Not one state in the country would lose all of its train service although certainly some would lose a significant portion.
 #1470468  by Tadman

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote:
Cancel the two non daily trains, extend the Crescent to San Antonio, extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando.
Hard pass on the CNO to Orlando. Very hard. I spent the week in Pascagoula and the former L&N is one busy single track railroad. Right now the CNO is a perfect time-length overnight trip. Extending it a second night on a second host railroad is a recipe for tremendous delay.

And as for a reroute of the Crescent to Texas, most Texans don't even know Amtrak goes through the state. I'd leave it all where it is.
 #1473088  by Jeff Smith

Nice trip report: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... w-orleans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a sentimental attachment to the Crescent, even though I only rode it one. I think this is one LD that can, and should, survive. It may end up being cut back to a day train ATL-NYP, but I think between VA and NC, they'll want to keep it. Pretty sure even GA would pony up.
 #1496118  by Jeff Smith

Annulment below Atlanta: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ing-jan-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is not the only significant cancellation faced by Amtrak long distance trains in January. Beginning Monday, Jan. 7, Crescent service between New Orleans and Atlanta will be cancelled Mondays through Thursdays, a disruption lasting through Feb. 14.
 #1520271  by Greg Moore

It will definitely have a new diner. But by then they'll be changed over to the new dining setup. I'm not sure how exactly that will work if you simply get your meal there and go back to your cabin or can sit there. But regardless, it won't be the old experience.
But the new diners are gorgeous.
 #1520276  by Tadman

Go over to Rendon's Inn, Lee's Cajun has a food counter in back. Carry out as much food as you can carry and eat it on the way home. Adam and Jeff make some amazing stuff. Especially the sauce piquant.
 #1520282  by west point

for about the last 45 days Crescent time keeping has been much better. South bound you can be 30 minutes late at Danville and leave CLT on time. if so most times will lave ATL on time. Leave ATL on time - About 1/3 - 1/2 time will be close to on time at NOL. You can usually know that if close to on time at BHM.
 #1520300  by Bob Roberts

west point wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 pm for about the last 45 days Crescent time keeping has been much better. South bound you can be 30 minutes late at Danville and leave CLT on time. if so most times will lave ATL on time. Leave ATL on time - About 1/3 - 1/2 time will be close to on time at NOL. You can usually know that if close to on time at BHM.
Very glad to hear it. Just anecdotally the NCRR has significantly less freight traffic now that NS has started PSR, combined with the new double track from Greensboro to Charlotte its clear sailing on that stretch. I haven't seen whats going on South of Charlotte since PSR but glad to hear the news is positive.
 #1520310  by Station Aficionado

Bob Roberts wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:05 pm
west point wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:08 pm for about the last 45 days Crescent time keeping has been much better. South bound you can be 30 minutes late at Danville and leave CLT on time. if so most times will lave ATL on time. Leave ATL on time - About 1/3 - 1/2 time will be close to on time at NOL. You can usually know that if close to on time at BHM.
Very glad to hear it. Just anecdotally the NCRR has significantly less freight traffic now that NS has started PSR, combined with the new double track from Greensboro to Charlotte its clear sailing on that stretch. I haven't seen whats going on South of Charlotte since PSR but glad to hear the news is positive.
Not just PSR; freight traffic volumes are falling. If stock prices follow suit, the vultures will demand more line sales. Could be some good buying opportunities for passenger authorities (& BNSF, the only one playing the long game). In the meantime, good news for the Crescent.
 #1520521  by Arlington

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 am Annulment below Atlanta: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ing-jan-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is not the only significant cancellation faced by Amtrak long distance trains in January. Beginning Monday, Jan. 7, Crescent service between New Orleans and Atlanta will be cancelled Mondays through Thursdays, a disruption lasting through Feb. 14.
Note to self: Check January and February's monthly performance and see how much lower the Crescent's losses are when it operates just ATL-NYP. Was there anything unsual about Jan & Feb 2019 that we should know before comparing Jan & Feb 2020?
 #1520529  by CharlieK

I received four copies of the following email from Amtrak, probably because my trip has four segments. There's no new news here, I already saw this on the USA Today website. No mention of sleeping cars so I assume nothing new in that department. That's not a problem for me, I'm OK with the Viewliners. I was just curious if the new ones were coming before my trip. Does anyone know where the onboard Sleeping Car passenger lounge is?

We have exciting news to share about your upcoming trip Train 19 the Crescent from New York City Penn Station on 10/13/2019.

Staring October 1, we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train—made exclusively available for Sleeping Car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

A new dining menu with hot, ready-to-serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (the first one is on us), plus unlimited soft drinks throughout your journey
Complimentary room service provided by your Sleeping Car attendant
Exclusive onboard lounge space for Sleeping Car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
Flexible dining times without the need for reservations

Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining. Information on special dietary requirements, including kosher meal requests, can be found at Amtrak.com/dining. To review your reservation, visit Amtrak.com.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

The most up to date arrival and departure times are available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps or by calling 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).