Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1440006  by STrRedWolf

As mentioned in the On-time Exceptions thread, the Cap Limited is being bused between Pittsburgh and Washington.

So for fun, I just traced where they could detour but stay on the rail... and found it. From Pittsburgh they can hit NS rail to Harrisburg, keep going via CP PAXTON onto the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad (read: NS) bridge, and backtrack on NS rail Lurgan Branch to Shippensberg, PA, take the rail down through Hagerstown, MD, reverse through the wye and switch north of Martinsburg, and then resume service.

If the track I just outlined is any good is another story all together...
 #1440020  by mtuandrew

I like that thought, STrRedWolf, but it strikes me as easier to use NS PGH-HAR-Perryville and CSX Perryville-WAS. (I don't believe Superliners fit the B&P Tunnel, but I think they do fit the Howard Street Tunnel.)

The track you mentioned ought to be Class III at least though - it's the NS Crescent Corridor mainline.
 #1440021  by Philly Amtrak Fan

Since the Crescent is currently running only to WAS they can run Superliners on the Crescent and Viewliners on the CL, then run the Crescent on the Pennsylvanian route from PGH to PHL and then down the NEC to WAS via BAL.
 #1440027  by Backshophoss

The Capital passes thru Cumberland and is a Superliner Consist as well,CSX is the Host RR and not all routes are Doublestack clearance
routes.
So a Detour may not be possible.
Also Cumberland is now likely a staging point for the cleanup efforts of this wreck and the NTSB investagation.
Also possible the 4th Crescent consist is used as a relief consist for the Lake Shore,Cardinal,and Silver service trains
out of Sunnyside yard for now.
 #1440031  by mtuandrew

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote:Since the Crescent is currently running only to WAS they can run Superliners on the Crescent and Viewliners on the CL, then run the Crescent on the Pennsylvanian route from PGH to PHL and then down the NEC to WAS via BAL.
Would've thought you'd suggest the Cap and Card switch consists, and terminate 50-51 at WAS.
 #1440041  by Gilbert B Norman

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote:Since the Crescent is currently running only to WAS they can run Superliners on the Crescent and Viewliners on the CL, then run the Crescent on the Pennsylvanian route from PGH to PHL and then down the NEC to WAS via BAL.
Likely before you "were", Mr. Fan, what you outlined, was the route of the Wash section Broadway Ltd.

On A-Day, the routing was via the Perryville-Middletown Port Road. While such was amongst the most scenic rides in the Northeast (as I recall, one.of those Amtrak fan trips went up it), the track was only MAS.30 mph. During '74, the routing you note was adopted, the NYP section ran via The Subway.

Further, a circa 1995 Superliner CHI-MIA "Cap-Star" was very much "on the table" (after the Clinton Cuts, Amtrak was "flush" with Superliners), but that was scrapped account concern of Corridor passengers having to "change at Wash".
 #1440051  by Philly Amtrak Fan

And eventually the Broadway split was at 30th Street Station. This allowed one seat service from CHI-BAL (http://www.timetables.org/full.php?grou ... &item=0036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). So forget Philly, if train 440 ran today, CHI-BAL would be 7:45pm-3:54pm as opposed to 5:45pm-7:16pm (over a 5 hour faster trip). CHI-WIL would also have a faster one seat ride. Neither BAL not WIL has had a daily one seat ride since the 440-441 ended (1981) and the CL started.
 #1440056  by sullysullinburg

Why bus all that way? Are there not closer stops to the obstruction where they could board buses/reboard the train?[/quote]
They could, but it would tie up some more equipment, which they might not have to spare.
 #1440061  by justalurker66

Crew change points are good places to choose.

If you have a different station in mind look at all of the logistics of serving that station. Is there easy access for buses and a good route from the chosen station to DC? Is there a good place to park the train before it turns back to Chicago? Can the train be serviced at the chosen station or parking location? If you are considering busing a gap and having a train in DC that went part of the way east and back you are tying up additional crews and equipment.
 #1440067  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Farecard and Sullenberger, go to a Google or Microsoft map of your choice and trace the B&O to the East of Pittsburgh. It follows the Youghiogheny to Confluence, thence the Casselman to Myersdale, over the hills through Sand Patch and on to Wills Creek where Hyndman is located.

That same review will show there is no reasonable and practical means to have busses access any of the stations along that route, let alone turn and service the train sets.
 #1442116  by byte

Anyone know what kind of consists the CL is currently running? I'll be making a WAS - CHI trip on #29 next week (in sleeper). Last time I rode it was in the dead of winter, about a year and a half ago, and I've had better trips; sleepers up front and only one locomotive with no baggage car, so the horn kept me from getting much sleep. Also don't think we had a sightseer lounge on that train, but am figuring this time of year there might be a little more to the train.
 #1442122  by Amtk30

If I may respond, #29-30 consists usually would be 1-2 Gens, baggage, transition sleeper, 2 sleepers, "cross country" diner, SSL, 2 coaches. Wonderful overnight run. On #29 may reach Sand Patch hopefully before sunset. Hope this helps!

Amtk30