Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak California San Joaquin

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1380930  by jamesinclair

Rockingham Racer wrote:Something isn't right, here. There's already a train arriving in Hanford at 8:43 PM. They claim the new 8:40 PM arrival would allow a full day in San Francisco. I would think the current 10:43 PM arrival already does that, and more.
The morning train will be 45 minutes earlier than what has been offered, so you get to start your day earlier in the Bay.

The return train is at almost the same time as a southbound Sacramento train, which offered thruway bus connection from SF. I can only assume that train will be moved up or down an hour or so because having two southbound trains run 15 minutes apart would be idiotic.
 #1389510  by jamesinclair

Service has begun

Fair use quote:
The change is the first expansion Amtrak’s San Joaquin service has seen in more than 14 years. “It will get you into the Bay Area earlier than the current service. It will get you into the Bay Area by 10:26 a.m.,” said Dan Leavitt, manager of regional initiatives for the San Joaquin Joint Powers Authority, which manages Amtrak’s San Joaquin train service. “This gives people more options to travel up and down the Valley and to the Bay Area.”

Amtrak estimates 1.1 million people currently use the San Joaquin train service line annually, Leavitt said, the fifth most-used Amtrak service in the country. The expanded service is expected to add 185,000 travelers to that number in the next two to three years.

Expanding the service will cost $6.4 million annually in state public transportation funds. Leavitt said that number is expected to decrease over the next few years.
http://www.modbee.com/news/article84514462.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1408048  by jamesinclair

bdawe wrote:So have speed limits been bumped up to 90 mph? I keep noticing trains listed as above 80 on track a train
Part of the HSR funding was allocated to raise track speed on the SJ and Pacific lines. I havent heard anything about actual construction ever happening though.
 #1618867  by Jeff Smith

https://contracosta.news/2023/03/23/ant ... of-oakley/
ANTIOCH TRAIN STATION SET TO BE DECOMMISSIONED IN FAVOR OF OAKLEY

At the March 24 meeting of the San Joaquin Joint Powers Authority, the Board will discuss decommissioning the Antioch-Pittsburg San Joaquins Passenger Stop and will instead opt for the new Oakley station.

By late 2025, Antioch residents will have access to the new Oakley station, including dedicated parking.
There have been several issues at the Antioch-Pittsburg Passenger Stop which staff has determined justifies decommissioning this passenger stop for the San Joaquins. Below is a list of the larger issues reported and is not an all-inclusive list:

In September 2019, due to safety concerns with the unhoused population, the passenger shelter was demolished after a homeless individual was found residing on the roof.

Due to the unhoused population challenges, the previous Antioch City Manager approved the decommissioning of the stop.

In December 2022, unhoused individuals were camped inside the ADA shelter; Amtrak staff requested they vacate. When staff returned later, the homeless individuals had stolen the wheelchair lift (valued at $11,000). Until the wheelchair lift is replaced, passengers who use a wheelchair must board in either Martinez or Stockton.

Amtrak onboard staff have been assaulted by passengers boarding in Antioch.

To reduce fare evasion, the Antioch – Pittsburg stop uses the streetcar method, with only one door opened per train for boarding and deboarding passengers
 #1638733  by ryanwc

What is the plan for how High Speed Rail will replace or overlay San Joaquin service? Can San Joaquin trains incrementally move to the HSR tracks as sections are completed and take advantage of higher speed limits?
 #1638761  by electricron

ryanwc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am What is the plan for how High Speed Rail will replace or overlay San Joaquin service? Can San Joaquin trains incrementally move to the HSR tracks as sections are completed and take advantage of higher speed limits?
Siemens built Venture train sets can reach a maximum of 125 mph on the CHSR tracks. Not the 200+ mph promised for CHSR, but still significantly faster than the max 80-90 mph on the existing tracks.
 #1638791  by Jeff Smith

Speaking of the San Joaquin: SacBee.com

Altamont Corridor Express (ACE) topic: altamont-corridor-express-ace-t166945.html

And a cool map:
A railway expansion could make Bay Area-Sacramento commute easier by 2026. Here’s the plan
The agreement would add Elk Grove, among other cities, as stops on the ACE and San Joaquin rail services, connecting the Central Valley and Silicon Valley to the Sacramento region.
San Joaquin’s rail service goes from Stockton to Bakersfield — making stops in Modesto, Turlock-Denair area, Merced and Fresno along the way.
Both are expected to add stations traveling from Elk Grove through the Sacramento area, including Sacramento City College, midtown, Old North Sacramento, Natomas and Sacramento International Airport.
 #1638813  by ryanwc

electricron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 pm
ryanwc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:06 am What is the plan for how High Speed Rail will replace or overlay San Joaquin service? Can San Joaquin trains incrementally move to the HSR tracks as sections are completed and take advantage of higher speed limits?
Siemens built Venture train sets can reach a maximum of 125 mph on the CHSR tracks. Not the 200+ mph promised for CHSR, but still significantly faster than the max 80-90 mph on the existing tracks.
Cool. Is there a plan for phasing them onto the HSR tracks as certain stretches are complete, though? Are there any stretches nearing completion?
 #1638814  by The EGE

Truly the stupidest way to connect Sacramento and Stockton. Instead of the existing downtown Lodi station and a potential downtown Elk Grove station, you get stations out in the middle of nowhere. It doesn't connect to Sacramento Valley Station, so there's no connection with existing Amtrak service there, and the light rail "connection" at Midtown will be a 1500+ foot walk. Natomas station in the middle of nowhere; with only a few trains a day, no one is going to use it for airport connections.
 #1638903  by lensovet

ryanwc wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:37 pm
electricron wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:58 pm
Cool. Is there a plan for phasing them onto the HSR tracks as certain stretches are complete, though? Are there any stretches nearing completion?
There's a plan-ish, but we're quite a ways from that. You can read all about the saga here california-high-speed-rail-cahsr-system-t57463.html
 #1638945  by ryanwc

I'd love to have time to read through a 48-page thread to find the 6 or 8 paragraphs that would answer the question. But alas. I was hoping someone might have a synopsis.
 #1638970  by lensovet

At the moment, they barely have a plan to finish building the track bed, much less to install the tracks. Worrying about Amtrak service running over that line is putting the cart before the horse.
 #1639612  by John_Perkowski

I have a Northern California friend, Mr Roger Colton. He recently posted his perceptions of a recent trip on the San Joaquin on book of faces.

I have his permission to copy it verbatim
Ok, trip report.

Now, my first San Joaquin ride was back in the days of ex Southern Pacific FP-7’s along with some tired articulated coaches also of SP heritage. Subsequent trips included Superliners, Amfleet, Horizon cars, and the California service bilevels. Today was the Siemens San Joaquin train set, in the push mode with a cabbage unit up front.

The good? Well, cars are relatively quiet and clean. But being new, they should be. AC also works well. The ride is okay but no better than I have had on other equipment.

The bad? Seats. They pinch the shoulders and don’t recline at all. I’m only riding from Martinez to Fresno but comfortable they are not. I tried dozing off but just could not get comfortable. Also wi-fi is unreliable.

The ugly? No food service. A substitute of free bottled water and snacks (bags of Cheese-it’s) is lame. I suspected this might happen and had a quick Denny’s breakfast en route to the station in Martinez. For some unexplained reason, food service cars (with vending machines) without a service attendant are coming later. But anyone who experienced the joy that was the SP’s automat cars will tell you, this isn’t anything to look forward to.

Otherwise? A fair number of slow orders, especially between Stockton and Modesto delayed the train. 20 minutes down at Motown.

Another amusement? Martinez no longer handles checked baggage.

So much for customer service.

If this is the future, it needs rethinking.
IMG_4825.jpeg
IMG_4825.jpeg (157.63 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_4824.jpeg
IMG_4824.jpeg (806.14 KiB) Viewed 187 times
IMG_4823.jpeg
IMG_4823.jpeg (429.52 KiB) Viewed 187 times