Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1596897  by David Benton

The hep limitations are the amp ratings of the hep cables between the locomotive and the cars, and between the cars. The amps in a electrical circuit are the same throughout the whole circuit, so every car would need to be upgraded.
 #1596900  by west point

I thought that all Auto Train cars had LED lighting and higher efficiency HVAC? As far as diners have not heard of any updates except LEDs.
Each 4/0 cable is rated for 200 amps. 4 cables on 4 plugs each.
 #1609387  by zuluwarrior

I don't know what happened to the Autotrain in October, starting the month with the outright cancellations. We did Lorton to Sanford on Friday Oct 28, with an on time departure and an on-time arrival, and counted ourselves fortunate, since the northbound train was only an hour late, so the turnaround could be managed to get themselves back on schedule. But most days this month either way have been late to hours late.

The 15 car consist was 4 coach cars, a dining car, 4 sleepers, a lounge car, a dining car, and 4 sleepers, almost completely sold out.

Back to dining in the dining car, slotted into the 4-ups as you arrive. Unannounced is the continued availability of MIR (meals in room), which I darkly suspect is in part an effort to direct tips to the hard-working dining car staff. Dining openings were 5, 7 and 9, with late arrivals getting the 9.

Baked potatoes are back, the flat iron steak is still spectacular.

Staff were masked; maybe 10 or 15 passengers were masked.
 #1609389  by Gilbert B Norman

I must confess, even after I've said around here that "I'm done with Auto Train" on the grounds it had become too expensive to save me, residing in the Chicago area, some 400 miles of driving - and no time whatever, I did give it a look for Northbound return on a two day trip to Miami during January.

The trip is to hear The Cleveland Orchestra during their residency in Miami, so I intended to simply fly down, Metrorail to the hotel catty corner to the venue (Marriott and Arsht Center) and repeat for the return.

But I must confess a $745 fare on #52 - me in a Bedroom, Lady Lex on the rack - gave me pause as any other journeys I had checked were about $1175 for same.

But then I started to think twice; how I intended the trip to be two days - now we're talking six, and even though air fares are ridiculous @ $1525 ORD-MIA-ORD and I no longer use my $8.25 round trip "poor man's way to O'Hare" (I'm now afraid to ride the CTA at any time of day), so it's now $125 in a livery car. All of that comes out less than over the road auto costs and additional three nights in hotels (anyone check the rates at a three star major chain - Express, Hampton varietal - of late?), I decided the Skies would be a bit Friendlier to my wallet.
 #1609394  by R36 Combine Coach

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:28 pm I must confess, even after I've said around here that "I'm done with Auto Train" on the grounds it had become too expensive to save me, residing in the Chicago area, some 400 miles of driving - and no time whatever, I did give it a look for Northbound return on a two day trip to Miami during January.
There was briefly, in 1991-1993 through Midwest-Miami service from Chicago and Pittsburgh via the Capitol
and Silver Star with through coaches. See 10/27/91 and 10/25/92 timetables.

Would be interesting to reconsider, especially for winter (snowbird) months.
 #1609404  by RandallW

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:56 pm There was briefly, in 1991-1993 through Midwest-Miami service from Chicago and Pittsburgh via the Capitol
and Silver Star with through coaches. See 10/27/91 and 10/25/92 timetables.

Would be interesting to reconsider, especially for winter (snowbird) months.
I rode that coach to Chicago once. It was the last car on the Silver Star south of Washington DC and the first car on the Capitol Limited (at least northbound). Northbound, the coach was pulled off the Silver Star and shoved forward onto the rake of head end cars for the Capitol Limited. This set of equipment was then pushed up into leads north of Union Station, where another locomotive pushed the set onto the waiting Capitol Limited equipment. Once that locomotive was clear, road engines would be coupled to the train.
 #1609409  by Jeff Smith

I had occasion to ride the Auto Train from Sanford back in July, and even though it was a late departure, I was impressed. From the attendants, to the food service, I had a thoroughly positive experience. I do recommend using the priority unloading service.

I definitely think an extended AT is needed beyond Lorton, although I realize that the routing is limited. They need to get to Chicago, and into the New York area. For New York, I'd recommend a terminal in Bayonne or along the Erie Main, where there's plenty of room. Two frequencies out to do it, and split the train in Lorton.
 #1609427  by Gilbert B Norman

Lest we forget, there was once a Louisville-Lorton private sector Auto Train. It flopped; and that was even after it was combined with Amtrak's Floridian. As I recall, that was gone before the Floridian's demise as part of the '79 Carter Cuts.

It's no wonder; the journey was simply too long. I've noted here that if the AT has not arrived by Noon, "arewethereyetitis" becomes quite endemic :-D. AT passengers are not railfans; they are not even non-fan train lovers. They are people who want to get themselves and their auto (often "loaded to the gills" with stuff for an extended stay) in a painless way between the Northeast and Florida. Sure, there are competitive trucking services where the auto's owner will simply fly down and back. But how about "the fun" of doing without your auto for maybe twenty-four hours while the truck catches up? AT sure seems more convenient, for your auto is never more than a train length away from you.

Now I want to reiterate my "ditching" of AT (I "go down" every year and will do so long as God grants me my health) was not brought about by any "horror story". In fact on my final journey aboard #52(the day Kobe Bryant was killed), "everything worked", the Attendant was simply "wondeful", the food "edible" (even if their "comp" wine served by an Attendant carrying milk bottles and saying "you get one glass; Red or White?"; I passed on "Continental Breakfast as I knew of a MickeyD essentially at the corner of Lorton Road and Jefferson Davis Highway US1), and arrived Lorton one hour early!. But the experience was simply a "meh" - and it has become too expensive for such, considering the only 400 miles of driving - and no time whatever- saved.
 #1609432  by scratchyX1

Lest we forget, there was once a Louisville-Lorton private sector Auto Train.
Iirc, that is what drove Auto train under, The accident just put dirt on the grave.
I've always wondered, "Whose brilliant idea was that route"?
I guess this is before there were interstates over west virginia, and rail was faster?
Why Louisville as a destination?
 #1609449  by bostontrainguy

scratchyX1 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:09 pm Lest we forget, there was once a Louisville-Lorton private sector Auto Train.
Iirc, that is what drove Auto train under, The accident just put dirt on the grave.
I've always wondered, "Whose brilliant idea was that route"?
I guess this is before there were interstates over west virginia, and rail was faster?
Why Louisville as a destination?
I was one of the original investors in Autotrain and lost everything when they went bankrupt. It also really hurt to see alot of that great equipment scrapped.

They did do demographic research that showed that the Midwest was the second largest market for people who drove to Florida so it was the best location for expansion.

Louisville was a logical spot for funneling the potential southbound traffic. It is right at the bottom of a triangle made up of the states of Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. Throw in the further north states of Wisconsin and Michigan and add in Canada and you got what should have been a winning marketplace.
Last edited by bostontrainguy on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1609466  by ExCon90

I thought at the time that one of the causes -- not the only one -- was a serious derailment that took so many cars out of service for so long that the remaining equipment couldn't bring in enough revenue to keep the operation going.