Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1586341  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lord, I think it safe assumption such is their marketing plan.

If they don't want to have Senator Blowhard breathing at them, you best not sell something for $537 for which someone else is willing to pay $1512.

That someone is simply not me.
 #1586345  by kitchin

lordsigma12345 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:15 pm Interestingly the 1/29 doesn't appear to be a blackout date as the $129 roomettes and $29 coach are showing - I'm wondering if the inventory of discounted rooms is limited and once they hit a certain ceiling boom no dice.
I found $29 coach, $198 room, $208 car. Friday June 10, I think, the fourth random date I tried, southbound.
 #1588544  by zuluwarrior

It will be interesting to follow the trains today with the bad weather in Washington.

Southbound is posting at the moment (8pm eastern) an 11 pm departure, arriving 2:45pm tomorrow. That will surely back up check in at Sanford, with a big offload and smaller onload. I wonder how they handle two trainloads at the station in Sanford.

Northbound is posted for a late arrival after 2PM in Lorton, so similar problem, but big onload and small offload.

In forty years we have twice been stranded on an Amtrak train in Virginia with foot high snow.
 #1588616  by zuluwarrior

The Sunday northbound got stuck shy of Lorton with a tree under it. Not sure when it eventually got in, but I suspect there was no food for 12 hours. The Monday southbound was eventually cancelled, and that meant today's northbound also cancelled. Today's southbound is listed as on schedule.

At 4 pm the Monday northbound was still held in Petersburg, with two other trains, and another two just north of Richmond. Not sure what happened to the regular trains held in Lynchburg.
 #1588632  by Gilbert B Norman

NBC News reports that from Mile 110 (Caroline County) on I-95 to 152 (Prince William), I-95 was at a standstill for twelve some hours. Those motorists did not have food beyond a volunteer effort to pass out sandwiches and water and that many had run out of gas and no longer had heat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ca ... -rcna10840
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1588633  by zuluwarrior

Wow. So the northbound train expecting to get in at 9am this morning moved to just north of Richmond and is stopped.

The southbound train, listed on time, is stopped in Fredericksburg but should be hundreds of miles south by now.
 #1595806  by zuluwarrior

Northbound Autotrain on Thursday April 14 was 100% sold out, with 4 coach cars, one cross country lounge car, 9 sleeper cars, one lounge car, one dining car and over 500 passengers. Masks required except in the sleeper rooms

Icemakers are back in service in the sleepers but not coffee.

Sleeper meal service was all in-cabin. Breakfast was grab and go, but interestingly they had added a sausage/egg/cheese bialy combo. Coffee as bad as always.
 #1595811  by lordsigma12345

zuluwarrior wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:42 pm Northbound Autotrain on Thursday April 14 was 100% sold out, with 4 coach cars, one cross country lounge car, 9 sleeper cars, one lounge car, one dining car and over 500 passengers. Masks required except in the sleeper rooms

Icemakers are back in service in the sleepers but not coffee.

Sleeper meal service was all in-cabin. Breakfast was grab and go, but interestingly they had added a sausage/egg/cheese bialy combo. Coffee as bad as always.
With 9 Superliner sleepers I suspect the mask mandates will need to end and mandatory communal dining able to return before they can consider table service again for dinner. Probably too hard to try to manage table service with that many sleepers when you can’t make parties eat together.