• Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

  • Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

  • 1636 posts
  • 1
  • 106
  • 107
  • 108
  • 109
  • 110
  by bostontrainguy
 
electricron wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:43 pm
bostontrainguy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:57 pm
electricron wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm You are wrong!
The reason the departure times are the same from both ends is to maintain consistency. As soon as they are not the same, someone -there is always someone- will state they were an hour late because that time was okay on the other end. And they will miss their train and will complain and seek unwarranted financial compensation.
The Auto Train has been in operation for decades, and the existing schedule has been tweaked for just as long. Why are you proposing fixing something that is not broken?
Because over the years the traffic on the north end has become increasingly worse. You do know that the Auto Train cutoff is 2:30 PM today, right? Are you aware that the Auto Train cutoff was 3:00 PM 10 years ago? Are you also aware that 20 years ago the cutoff time was 3:30 PM? It has become increasingly difficult to get there over the years and making the cutoff earlier and earlier isn't helping.

Oh and by the way, your other argument makes no sense. You can't be one hour late if the train departure time and cutoff is moved 1 hour later. If people are used to 2:30, 3:30 will be no problem for them.
You missed my point about consistency of departure times at both ends entirely!
. . .
I really do not care it the train departs both stations at 3 pm, 4 pm, 5 pm, or 6 pm - just as long as it is the same at both stations. Because the very instance that is no longer true, someone - probably you - will arrive one hour late at the station where the train departs one hour earlier.
You know what Mr. electric? I do not believe people - especially me - are as stupid as you feel they are.
  by Jeff Smith
 
Let's get back to the topic at hand.
  by Tadman
 
ThirdRail7 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:09 pm I'm not sure if any of the last two pages of posts belong in this actual thread but to answer Tadman's question, that maximum length of the Auto train is 56 cars. This is an increase from 50 cars. I'm not sure it ever hits that length though and I suspect it won't in the foreseeable future.
Thanks. That's quite the haul.
  by Jeff Smith
 
Discount Roomettes: For a Limited Time, Save 20% on Auto Train Roomettes

I don't know if I've asked this before, or someone else has, but can you book an Auto Train ticket WITHOUT a car? Asking for a friend :wink: ...
Travel Comfortably in a Roomette and Save 20% Through June 24
Instead of being stuck in traffic on I-95, you and your vehicle could Get Carried Away on the Auto Train. Simply pack your car with everything you need for your trip between Lorton, Virginia (near Washington DC) and Sanford, Florida (near Orlando) and leave the driving behind. And for a limited time, you can save 20% on private Roomettes aboard the Auto Train this summer.

Roomettes offer a great way to maintain physical distance while traveling and feature two comfortable seats by day and upper and lower berths by night. Inside the room you’ll find newly upgraded bedding, pillows, towels and linens. You will also have access to a private restroom and shower down the hall and a dedicated sleeping car attendant during your trip. All Roomette customers receive complimentary traditional dining service with wine and a continental breakfast prior to arrival.

To receive this discount use the Fare Finder above or enter code V528 when booking your trip on the Amtrak app. The offer is subject to availability and an advanced reservation of at least 3 days is required.

Valid for sale between June 9–24, 2020.

Valid for travel between June 15–August 31, 2020.
  by JimBoylan
 
Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:30 amcan you book an Auto Train ticket WITHOUT a car? Asking for a friend :wink: ...
If 1 of you pays for a vehicle and a Sleeping Car room, another person can buy a separate ticket at the lowest coach rate for travel in that room, without paying for another vehicle.
  by zuluwarrior
 
46 cars northbound today, and a little over 400 pax. Listed as sold out, but there were plenty of coach seats. 30 car carriers and 16 passenger cars. I imagine the percent vaccinated in this population is reasonably high.

Slight menu changes, and they seem to have standardized on delivery to the sleeperettes: no more styrofoam but instead plastic covered plates (disposable). Deliveries at 5, 6,7 and one sitting in the dining car at 8.

The coffee urns are gone in one consist but apparently remain in the other. Ice in the coach lounge car.
  by Gilbert B Norman
 
Mr. Zulu, something doesn't add up regarding your immediate report appertaining, I presume, #52(2).

48 vehicles 400 PAX; whoa; nine PAX per vehicle??????

It also sounds as if on-board service has "taken a hit". No ice in the Sleepers. Hey, my first chore after boarding is to grab some ice to get my "Grape Juice" chilled down. Now I'd have to walk to the Coach Lounge (#370XX X-Country nowadays; I believe) for same.

Just one more reason "Voyage 24" in all likelihood was my final.
  by JimBoylan
 
I think he was counting the railroad cars in the train not the motor vehicles.
  by Gilbert B Norman
 
Mskes sense Mr. Boylan; I "stand down" on that point.

Stand, though, on the remainder of the post.
  by lordsigma12345
 
I, personally, thought the food menu on my April trip to be a step up over my previous trips. Both the steak I had on the way down and the pork loins on had coming home were very good. My previous trip in 2019 I found the food rather bland - now I suppose it could be a crew difference, but I found this trip pretty good despite restrictions on diner capacity. The sides are nothing special but the main course and desserts were great. I also like the new bedding and pillows much better than the old stuff thats still on all the other trains. Also they are trialing a new program in the bedrooms where you can put an order in for types of items such as shampoo, soap, and other types of toiletries and supplies.
  by daybeers
 
So they finally actually have new bedding & pillows for the AT?! Could you share more about the toiletries ordering?
  by lordsigma12345
 
Yes. New bedding. If you have a bedroom they give you a card where you can order all sorts of toiletries And other items and the SCA will bring them to you.
  by gokeefe
 
I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that short of restoring china and fresh cut flowers it sounds as though the service is "as good as ever". Mr. Norman, I look forward to your reply.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  by lordsigma12345
 
I found the new bedding - especially the blanket - much better than the previous - but so far it’s only on the auto train.
  • 1
  • 106
  • 107
  • 108
  • 109
  • 110