Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak AMT125 Proposal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1556013  by Pensyfan19

Judging from the sketch, this looked like EMD's attempt to replace the F40s in the late 80s or early 90s.

https://www.facebook.com/EMDPictures/?h ... _tn__=kC-R
Last edited by mtuandrew on Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited to reflect different locomotive designation
 #1556024  by electricron

Sorry, I guess I will have to skip looking at this photo, because I refuse to join and sell my internet participation to Facebook.
 #1556031  by Pensyfan19

Taken directly from the post.

#1556050  by John_Perkowski

Blech!

It’s ugggggggllllly

Give me an E or an FP any day. Both represent grace and power (and yes, I want the E upgraded to a 645 and state of the art electronics.) Both these models have a proven history.

Leave the Euro designs ... in Europe.
 #1556085  by mtuandrew

Oh that’s the AMT125 proposal from the 1970s, not the 80s. It was supposed to be something like a GP39-2H (with a 12-645T rated around 2300 hp) wrapped in a tight North River Tunnel-size shell. EMD intended it to be the American answer to the British Rail InterCity 125 or the MLW/Bombardier LRC, with two AMT125s bracketing a number of Amfleets. Never built of course.

There’s some info on this site somewhere about it, probably in the EMD forum. It reminds me strongly of French designs like the Turboliner and especially the original electric TGV.
 #1556087  by mtuandrew

Here we go:
RRspatch wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:36 amThere was a proposal for a streamlined locomotive back in the late 70's or early 80's to be called at AMT125. This proposal was for a locomotive that looked very much like the BR class 43 in the front tapering to the profile of an Amfleet car at the rear. Two of these locomotives, one at each end, would provide high speed service much like the BR class 43/Mark 3 cars. While I do remember seeing drawings of this proposal some 40 years ago in either PTJ or RTN I can't find anything on Google about it.

Of course you don't have to go back 40 years to see this proposal, just go and ride Brightline/Virgin. That's what we should be doing which would give us much more flexibility in consists rather than going down the EMU/DMU fixed consist route ....
 #1556207  by RRspatch

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:16 pm Here we go:
RRspatch wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:36 amThere was a proposal for a streamlined locomotive back in the late 70's or early 80's to be called at AMT125. This proposal was for a locomotive that looked very much like the BR class 43 in the front tapering to the profile of an Amfleet car at the rear. Two of these locomotives, one at each end, would provide high speed service much like the BR class 43/Mark 3 cars. While I do remember seeing drawings of this proposal some 40 years ago in either PTJ or RTN I can't find anything on Google about it.

Of course you don't have to go back 40 years to see this proposal, just go and ride Brightline/Virgin. That's what we should be doing which would give us much more flexibility in consists rather than going down the EMU/DMU fixed consist route ....
Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure it was Rail Travel News with the drawing of the proposed AMT125 on the cover. Unfortunately my collection of RTN's disappeared during one of my many moves around the country. A quick search of Google turns up nothing related to the railfan magazine. I do remember hearing they ceased publishing many years ago.
 #1556271  by Gilbert B Norman

I don't think so, Mr. Scratchy.

The rendering Mr. Pennsy located and shared here looks mighty like the F-40PHM, known in fanese as a "Winnie" (for Winnebago RV looks). Renderings always have the "edges smoothed", but the resemblance is there.
 #1556427  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:19 pm Believe Metrolink(SCAX) has a few running in their fleet with mixed results
Different machine. The F125 has a high-horsepower higher-RPM Caterpillar prime mover and was built in the 2010s; the AMT125 concept of the 1970s was designed to use a medium-speed EMD 645.

To Mr. Norman’s point, I’m honestly not sure whether this was supposed to be based on the F40PH - could have been, or could have been a different frame altogether. It looks shorter in height and length, and only has a family resemblance to the F40PHM. Also, those trucks look like something else.
 #1556492  by Backshophoss

AMT125 morphed into the F-125 for SCAX, the Cat takeover/GM sell off was still in the foggy future back in the '70's
 #1556503  by mtuandrew

Backshophoss wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:17 pm AMT125 morphed into the F-125 for SCAX, the Cat takeover/GM sell off was still in the foggy future back in the '70's
Huh? If anything the F125 is a descendant of the DE30AC (itself a descendant of the F59PH and F40PH) crossed with the PR43C and possibly taking some lessons from the Stadler EuroLight. The AMT125 is an entirely different critter which looks like it could have been forked from the F40PH platform forty-five years ago, but could have been some other platform entirely.