Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak A/C and Engineer Trainee

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1403407  by Pog3531

I have a few questions here pertaining to hiriring as an Assistant Conductor and also passenger engineer trainee. First is for the A/C position in Philadelphia. Per the Amtrak website it looks like the training rate is a measly 15.75 per hour. I know speaking about salary on this forum is taboo, but I must ask for some insight on hourly pay rates. I've tried looking online but could only find roundabout information. Any other insight into benefits and amount of time it takes for promotion to conductor would be greatly appreciated.
Amtrak also has 2 postings for an engineer trainee out of Philadelphia. Again if anyone could shed some light into the training involved and also any information about extra board work and locations that an engineer out of Philly might travel to. Becoming an engineer for Amtrak is something I have wanted to do for a long time, just now the opportunity seems right to move forward with if I am accepted in the hiriring process.
A little about myself, I have 4 years experience working with Conrail as a conductor and another 5 years working as a Train operator. I really miss working for CR, but unfortunately left 5 years ago looking for more stability and better pay. I also have 10 years of military service under my belt, hoping that helps with getting into Amtrak. Any information you guys have would be great in helping me decide if it's worth it to come back on the RR. I just want to be certain leaving a job making 27 an hour and giving up some good benefits is worth it. Thanks!!
 #1403740  by COEN77

If you had 9 years under your belt with Conrail then you already know how the railroad operates. Amtrak's definitely different than freight but seniority-seniority-seniority is all that counts. If you're already making 27 plus good benefits get a pad make a list of pro's & con's on both then make a determination.
 #1403914  by Pog3531

Looks like I wasn't selected for the A/C position so that narrows that choice down lol. I do have 4 years with CR and am in quiet a stable job at this time. Everyday I run though my mind if it would be a good move to go to Amtrak if selected for the engineer job. I guess I was more or less looking into more info as far as job details and just a better general understanding of what a NEC engineer does.
 #1404168  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Unfortunately your time at Conrail would NOT be factored in if you hire as a locomotive engineer because of the break in service. Also, the company website has job postings for engineers in PHL, but there are no real spaces. The carrier hires when they have people eligible to retire in 2 years under the premise that it normally takes 2 years before a student (without previous Class I license) to promote. Just because people are eligible to retire, doesn't mean they will. This has caused a huge headache lately on the entire NEC because the company basically over hired in anticipation of retirements that never happened.
 #1404257  by Pog3531

Very interesting I think most companies do what Amtrak does and over hires in anticipation. They did the same thing where I work at and it totally kills the overtime. I wonder if the do the same with the conductors? Maybe I will have better luck with NJ Transit they have openings for engineers as well.
 #1405278  by Acela150

AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer wrote:Amtrak never has too many AC'so.
Funny you say that.. They posted an AC job for Harrisburg. I'm in touch with a Crew member out of Harrisburg who said the junior guy Zone 2 is about to be bumped out of there... He said it's possible it was for zone 4. HAR-PGH.

But it seems that there is no communication between anyone on where there is a need for new hires..
 #1414131  by jkell1234

Lets be frank. Its all about who you know and then even then that might not be good enough to become an employee as an A/C for Amtrak.

I will never forget 1247 people applied for 2 open positions. Its a no brainer them jobs go to internal candidates. Was even told by the recruiter Philly is amongst the most difficult to get into.