Railroad Forums 

• Ampoint Industrial Complex

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#179405  by mike

Just started a new job a stones throw away from here, and upon taking my first trip through here, there are spurs everywhere. Funnily enough, none of the spurs are in use, with many crossings removed entirely. When was the last time there was rail service of any kind here, or does some still exist somewhere? There was a connection to the TT to the north and the old T&OC to the south. Yesterday, I may have seen a local pulling onto the T&OC with a caboose.

Also yesterday there was a Seaboard engine at Stanley visible from Tracy Rd. It looked clean too, but that was from a distance.

Thanks for any info.

#179481  by nycrick

That area was the site of the old Rossford Army Ordinance Depot that's the reason for all the tracks. I'm not sure when it was last used to full capacity but there might be an industry or 2 still there.

#179692  by MSchwiebert

I believe that Ohio & Michigan Paper & Hunt Wesson still get cars in. O&M is just south of the Penta Campus & Hunt Wesson is a little further south of that. In any event, customers are served off the old T&OC (the connection is visible from the 795 overpass to the south of the facility). If you have a scanner, and hear Stanley Tower talking to the "WIP" this is the yard job that is working the yard (WIP is an abbrevation for Willis Industrial Park as Willis-Day was the designation prior to Ampoint)

As a youngster, I got many photographs of the SW switchers that Penn Central/Conrail assigned to drill the cars in the facility. Back then most of the tracks were still active.
nycrick wrote:That area was the site of the old Rossford Army Ordinance Depot that's the reason for all the tracks. I'm not sure when it was last used to full capacity but there might be an industry or 2 still there.