Railroad Forums 

• AMP - Dansville - Best place to view?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1440408  by nydepot

What's the best area to view locomotives at the AMP plant in Dansville? I can see some things from 390 but wondered if there was a local street with better views. Thanks.
 #1440416  by scottychaos

There is no public area with "good" views..
you can get quick glances from 390 south, but you cant see much at 65mph.
You cant see anything at all from 390 north.

the only other option is where the track into the facility crosses Meter Road at the North-East corner of the facility.
Locos are still rather far away, but its the best view available.

Scot
 #1440427  by Benjamin Maggi

If you look at a satellite photo on Google Maps, it shows that there is quite a lot of reconstruction happening there. Three new switches were added, various areas are being graded, etc. No idea when the photo actually was taken, but it appears as if business is growing there.

I have never seen a train in or out of the plant. I used to be in Mt. Morris in the mid 2000s semi-regularly, yet never once saw a train on that part of the line.
 #1440443  by sd80mac

Benjamin Maggi wrote:If you look at a satellite photo on Google Maps, it shows that there is quite a lot of reconstruction happening there. Three new switches were added, various areas are being graded, etc. No idea when the photo actually was taken, but it appears as if business is growing there.

I have never seen a train in or out of the plant. I used to be in Mt. Morris in the mid 2000s semi-regularly, yet never once saw a train on that part of the line.

you can tell when it was taken. THe date is always shown at the bottom right next to feature buttons.
 #1440837  by KevinD

Use a drone and go everywhere.

They seem to be doing quite a few wreck repairs for GE lately. I wonder if GE's reliance upon them increases now that Erie is out and Fort Worth is busy with production. I read where the NS 4000 was recently sent to Erie, probably for Analysis (4000 being one of the 2 conversions AMP did for GE, now that 4001 is wrecked and sidelined)