Railroad Forums 

• AMCO Plastics - Farmingdale

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1173142  by nyandw

It would seem that AMCO occupies perhaps siding location #3 on the map below, just east of Route 110.

It has been there since mid-1970s, AFAIK. It receives hopper pellets for extrusion. Does anyone have further/current photos, when it replaced the previous LIRR tenant (Whitestone Prods), etc.

Thanks Folks.
 #1259171  by vin5581

I noticed yesterday that all of the hoppers are gone!!???I have never seen these tracks empty. Any one know if the rail service has ended there?? A few weeks age there were workers in bright green vests doing some kind of work around the cars and area around them.
 #1259180  by emfinite

I passed by there a few days ago and noticed the same thing. Everything is gone. And it must mean something, because a couple of the hoppers towards the back haven't moved in years. I think some were used for storage. I would say either track maintenance, siding rehabilitation or they'll unload somewhere else.
 #1259252  by freightguy

Wow another industry gone off the Central branch which was once a hive of activity. The switch that went to Pergament and what looked like a bunch of other consignees was removed also. More and more of these niche costumers are disappearing. The Pergament switch was just north of the Southern State Parkway and ran along the WB side. More and more manufacturing continues to leave off the island or close outright. I was always amazed about the amount of sidings on that unique 7 mile branch from General Motors all the way to Babylon team.
 #1259285  by freightguy

Guess that's the end of the line for AMCO plastics. The cars they used for long term storage headed out to Gershow to be scrapped. So I would say its safe to say they closed their doors for good.
 #1259347  by AlKaLI

In recent weeks, I too have not seen the usual covered hoppers from Route 110. I googled AMCO Plastics and it appears they were acquired last year by another firm. But nothing came up about the plant closing. Are they closing?? It would be a real shame that another manufacturer closes/leaves Long Island.
 #1259777  by vin5581

The verdict is in, They are gone for good. Spoke with a person outside the facility and he said the operation has been relocated. All the mechanicals are being removed from the buildings interior. The building is for sale/rent.
 #1259868  by DogBert

What did they make here? Was this another plastic bag factory?

NYC gov might start taxing plastic bags, which could put at least one other plastics customer in jeopardy: Favorite plastics down in ENY. I imagine a lot of people will start using canvas bags instead of paying a tax at the drug store or supermarket.

(here's a link to the plastic bag story: http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2014/03/ ... sited.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)