Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1563773  by Teutobergerwald

Never knew about this wreck until this post. Any casualties? How long was the 250 out of service after this, and the coaches? Is there still a siding at Amagansett, and is hand-thrown or controlled elsewhere? Thanks.
 #1563811  by krispy

nyandw wrote:No siding via Google Satellite...
Look east of the crossing on the map, that's where the siding is. AG's siding is signaled but the switches are hand-thrown. Helpful for moving track cars, etc. given how long the SN-MY block is.
 #1563814  by gamer4616

Amagansett has non-interlocked home signals. The signals don't correspond to the switches. They basically break up the block, so it isn't one big block from SH to MY. The switches there are now electric lock switches.

You did see the siding used for meets and storing trains, in the final days of dark territory. Since the cutover, no revenue trains have been in the siding. It was used for storing trains during the US Open golf tournament in 2018, and I'm sure the PTC test train (1 Cab car and a DE engine) used the siding for testing. Other than that, you would only see the siding used if needed for track work, sperry testing, etc...
 #1563939  by Bad Luck

The photographer is facing west, looking at an eastbound train.

A good rule of thumb, for the EMD era at least, is to first assume a train is heading east if a GP38-2 is on point. More often than not, that was the case, though there certainly were regular instances where the 38's lead west as well.
 #1564056  by Bad Luck

The high tension poles are on the north side of the tracks, as shown below. Also note that the more beat up siding is in the foreground of the original image, as compared to the main in the background (not that it was much better in those days).

#1564419  by Bad Luck

No problem.

There's some bad juju with brand new class units. The 100 hit the dirt drilling in LIC, so early that the EMD paint must have still been wet..