Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1279656  by ACeInTheHole

srock1028 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:Had 4506 shoving a 10 car ML set on the NEC recently. Topped out at 88-89 mph running east towards NY on the fast part of the Corridor.
Which is what it's supposed to be doing.
MAS for the MLs is still 90?
Yes, same with the ALP-45's.
Oh by the way, just like some other people on here, I will no longer be posting all of the factual information as I've done in the past. Look at what happened in the NJCL Bay Head Express thread and thank two of the posters in there for it.
That sucks.. But it is understandable. Why post facts if idiots like that will act like they know better? Ok then.
 #1279669  by F40

ACeInTheHole wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:Had 4506 shoving a 10 car ML set on the NEC recently. Topped out at 88-89 mph running east towards NY on the fast part of the Corridor.
Which is what it's supposed to be doing.
MAS for the MLs is still 90?
Yes, same with the ALP-45's.
Oh by the way, just like some other people on here, I will no longer be posting all of the factual information as I've done in the past. Look at what happened in the NJCL Bay Head Express thread and thank two of the posters in there for it.
That sucks.. But it is understandable. Why post facts if idiots like that will act like they know better? Ok then.
One of the reasons I stuck it out on this board is because of the professionalism and information, but how things have changed. It is one thing to ask questions or state opinions. It is quite another to troll and show disrespect. It's a shame it has come to this.
 #1279691  by srock1028

Sorry, I have to correct something...
No, MAS for the MLs is 100MPH. MAS for the ALP-45's is 90.
Ok, that was my last post for a while...

-NO BS
 #1280162  by philipmartin

I was in Long Branch a little while ago and No. 2307 came in with an Alp 45 head out, pants up. I guess he ran it AC all the way from Hoboken to Long Branch, if they can. I don't know where they switch from the Hoboken 25,000 volts to the Amtrak 12,000.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't noticed a 45 on a Hoboken Bay Head train before.
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #1280164  by philipmartin

train2 wrote:For someone outside the Transit area, and who doesn't watch this board daily, how are these dual powered loco working out? Any major issues?
My impression is that they are running as intended; Transit got what it paid for. I don't know that much about them either.
 #1280226  by Fan Railer

philipmartin wrote:I was in Long Branch a little while ago and No. 2307 came in with an Alp 45 head out, pants up. I guess he ran it AC all the way from Hoboken to Long Branch, if they can. I don't know where they switch from the Hoboken 25,000 volts to the Amtrak 12,000.

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't noticed a 45 on a Hoboken Bay Head train before.
They'd switch where every other train from hoboken to the NEC switches voltages; on the hudson connection west of the meadowlands interlockings and east of hudson interlockings, and by kearny interlockings: https://www.flickr.com/photos/120115439 ... /lightbox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In another note, I didn't realize how loud these things were in the hot summer heat in electric mode. The motor blowers are so much louder than on the 46s that its enough to fool me for a few seconds into considering the possibility that one of the diesels might be on, even though that makes no sense in this situation (pan up) or temperature (it's high 90s, and the diesels run hot as it is): http://youtu.be/ZeykqnEgTYU?t=2m15s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1280227  by philipmartin

Fan Railer wrote: They'd switch where every other train from hoboken to the NEC switches voltages; on the hudson connection west of the meadowlands interlockings and east of hudson interlockings, and by kearny interlockings:

Thank you for the solid information. I worked both Hudson and Karny towers, but hudson connection and meadowlands interlockings are new terms for me.

In another note, I didn't realize how loud these things were in the hot summer heat in electric mode.
I think the diesels were running. When I see them at Middletown, NJ, only in electric mode, (have they gotten to Middletown, NY yet?,) they sound the same as Alp46s. The one on 2307 yesterday had the diesel running before he dropped the pantograph.
 #1280254  by CNJGeep

philipmartin wrote:I was in Long Branch a little while ago and No. 2307 came in with an Alp 45 head out, pants up. I guess he ran it AC all the way from Hoboken to Long Branch, if they can. I don't know where they switch from the Hoboken 25,000 volts to the Amtrak 12,000.

2305 and 2307 run with ALPs on Fridays and getaway days days. Yesterday 2305 ran with 4530 in E-Mode from Hoboken to Long Branch. Perhaps 2307 did too.
 #1280278  by Fan Railer

philipmartin wrote:
Fan Railer wrote: They'd switch where every other train from hoboken to the NEC switches voltages; on the hudson connection west of the meadowlands interlockings and east of hudson interlockings, and by kearny interlockings:

Thank you for the solid information. I worked both Hudson and Karny towers, but hudson connection and meadowlands interlockings are new terms for me.

In another note, I didn't realize how loud these things were in the hot summer heat in electric mode.
I think the diesels were running. When I see them at Middletown, NJ, only in electric mode, (have they gotten to Middletown, NY yet?,) they sound the same as Alp46s. The one on 2307 yesterday had the diesel running before he dropped the pantograph.
During the mode change, there is always a little bit of overlap time where the pan is up and the diesels are on; that way, HEP doesn't shut off during the change. However, in the video I shot at Chatham, the 4500 is clearly operating with the Pan up on train 852, and will continue to operate in electric until Dover, where it will change over to diesel to complete the journey. That is why I'm wondering if that loud wirring sound is really the motor blowers, or if it is, for some reason, coming from one of the diesels in the engine, which I would figure to be unlikely.

However, if it is because one or both of the diesels are idling, I'd be curious as to know why they would be doing this.
 #1282314  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote: In another note, I didn't realize how loud these things were in the hot summer heat in electric mode.
I think the diesels were running. When I see them at Middletown, NJ, only in electric mode, (have they gotten to Middletown, NY yet?,) they sound the same as Alp46s. The one on 2307 yesterday had the diesel running before he dropped the pantograph.[/quote]

I saw the 4501 standing on track 2 in New York today after it came in with 5170. The blower was making a hell of a lot of noise. It can't have been the diesel or we would all have been asphyxiated.
Later in the day, the blower(s?) on the Alp 45 that brought me back were making a racket, pulling the train out of Annandale.
 #1284761  by CNJ Fan 4evr

I have seen at least five different ones on RV line in past week. 4501,4505,4524,4526,4528. I was between Westfield and High Bridge between 10-2. I must say they are about as ugly an engine I have ever seen.
 #1288711  by zerovanity59

This may have answered before, but I do not want to read over 400 posts. How long does it take to change modes? Do they have to stop to do so? Does this cause them to hold at a stop for a longer time than otherwise?
 #1288726  by srock1028

zerovanity59 wrote:This may have answered before, but I do not want to read over 400 posts. How long does it take to change modes? Do they have to stop to do so? Does this cause them to hold at a stop for a longer time than otherwise?
1-2 minutes. Yes they are stopped at stations where the train would dwell for 1-2 minutes with a regular engine so no time is lost.