Railroad Forums 

• Allegheny(2-6-6-6) #1604

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

#136892  by Nytewolf

The B & O rail museum has one of the two remaining Allegheny's left in existance, My understanding is that Lima built these beutiful machines. The 1604 has an Alco reverser gear on it. Can anyone explain this to me?

#137708  by mp15ac

The various companies which built steam locomotives didn't manufacture all of the components themselves. Most of the accessory parts, such as feedwater heaters, air compressors, healights, and power reverse gear, were manufactured by other companies which either held patents or licencing agreements for these parts.

So, Lima didn't make its own reverse gear, but bought them from another company, which in this case was Alco.

Stuart

#137725  by rdganthracite

I do not remember the exact dates, but when Alco finally gave up on the steam locomotives they sold the steam parts business to Lima. So it is quite possible that Lima owned rights to the Alco reverser and made it.