Railroad Forums 

• All Things Portal Bridge: Amtrak and NJT Status and Replacement Discussion

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1617717  by lensovet

west point wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:04 pm It will be informative if riders NYP <> Newark will give us observed construction progress.
Here you go, no account required:
 #1617719  by lensovet

pumpers wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:21 am Paul, thanks for clearing up the Amtrak part of the funding issue. $261 M does seem like a lot for "tie-in" though, even considering signalling upgrades for the higher speed, but I'm not in the business. JS
Looks like the entire length of track including the bridge is 2.36 miles. so about 100M/mile, which seems to be par for the course for American construction projects per https://www.constructiondive.com/news/u ... es/605599/.
 #1617726  by lensovet

Well yes, I'm not sure how else you expect to see progress on Portal construction other than through a train window from a train going south/west on the NEC from Secaucus to Newark Penn. "All sorts of things" AKA construction of the new bridge and the new leads on the corridor.
 #1617735  by lensovet

I'm not a civil engineer, though some of the members of this forum are. Maybe they can provide more details. I didn't get a chance to jump off the train and ask the construction workers on the site what they were doing either.