Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#895245  by Silverliner II

Hmmmm, Johnstown crew change....now that is unusual. The normal crew districts for the Pennsylvanian are PGH-HAR, HAR-PHL, and PHL-NYP. I am guessing they are still trying to get everybody back in position with the snowstorm and all having upset the applecart this week....
 #895283  by njtmnrrbuff

Regarding students and faculty of Penn State connecting to Amtrak at Lewistown; most likely those who live in and within reasonable distance of Philly would use the train. Since Lewistown isn't terribly far from Harrisburg, it's probably better for more bus connections there. The closest Amtrak gets you to Lewistown is Tyrone.
 #895334  by Silverliner II

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The closest Amtrak gets you to Lewistown is Tyrone.
I think he meant State College.... :)
KillerB wrote:What? The Pennsylvanian stops in Lewistown, PA.

I took the Three Rivers and Pennsylvanian many times out of Lewistown to Pittsburgh in the 1999-2001 timeframe.
I took the Pennsylvanian many times Philly to Pittsburgh on holidays from college in the 1989-1994 timeframe, with a deviation to the Broadway Limited on occasion.... until it got rerouted west of Pittsburgh off the former PRR via Fort Wayne. Then I switched to the Capitol Limited/NEC for trips home after monitoring the eastbound Broadway's on-time performance every day from September 1, 1992 to December 19, 1992, and it was only on time into Pittsburgh 5 days out of that period (with the shortest late period being one day when the train was 35 minutes late; the usual was 1 to 3 hours or more late.)

But the Pennsylvanian was always my return route to Pittsburgh during those times. :)
 #895381  by Oldsmoboi

Silverliner II wrote:Hmmmm, Johnstown crew change....now that is unusual. The normal crew districts for the Pennsylvanian are PGH-HAR, HAR-PHL, and PHL-NYP. I am guessing they are still trying to get everybody back in position with the snowstorm and all having upset the applecart this week....
That's exactly what it was.

BTW, the rest of the run was exactly on time down to the minute as far as PHL where I disembarked.
 #903939  by nickrapak

Jersey Jeff wrote:At Penn State, the University Park Undergraduate Association is investigating establishing shuttle bus service between Lewistown and State College
Just an update on this. UPUA will establish shuttle service to Lewistown starting March 3, the Thursday before Spring Break, and running until May 9, the Monday after the end of the semester. The cost will be $10 each way, and there will be two daily roundtrips, to accommodate both EB and WB travelers.
Link.
 #934231  by brettj22

Is the Pennsylvanian still running with the 2x2 Amfleet I business class? I agree with the previous consensus that I'd prefer to be in a Long Distance Amfleet II coach...
 #934240  by ericr

brettj22 wrote:Is the Pennsylvanian still running with the 2x2 Amfleet I business class? I agree with the previous consensus that I'd prefer to be in a Long Distance Amfleet II coach...
I took the Pennsylvanian last Saturday. It had an Amfleet I Business class and full sized cafe.
 #934268  by Silverliner II

brettj22 wrote:Is the Pennsylvanian still running with the 2x2 Amfleet I business class? I agree with the previous consensus that I'd prefer to be in a Long Distance Amfleet II coach...
Yep. Regular consist is as follows:

(1) Amfleet I Business Class
(1) Amfleet I full dinette
(3) Amfleet II coach
(1) Amfleet I coach

The Pennsylvanian trainsets interline with the Palmetto trainsets, with 4 sets of equipment between the two trains. Equipment of 42 cycles for 89 and 90 cycles for 43.
 #934283  by R36 Combine Coach

For such a long distance run (829 miles), it's interesting the Palmetto runs with Amfleet Is for cafe and business and the Carolinian is all Amfleet I.
 #934430  by Silverliner II

R36 Combine Coach wrote:For such a long distance run (829 miles), it's interesting the Palmetto runs with Amfleet Is for cafe and business and the Carolinian is all Amfleet I.
There is not enough Amfleet II to go around, basically.
 #934442  by brettj22

Has anyone out at Penn State heard if the shuttle bus plan to Lewistown was successful? Was it for PSU students only?
 #934980  by nickrapak

brettj22 wrote:Has anyone out at Penn State heard if the shuttle bus plan to Lewistown was successful? Was it for PSU students only?
Last I heard, the funding was allocated to restart the shuttle service for 2011-2012 school year. It is not just for students, anyone can call them and reserve a spot.