Railroad Forums 

• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1309968  by barciur

Anybody else notice some reserved trains over the holidays? This is for New Year's Day:

Weird, as there has been no advisory, like for Thanksgiving. Also, not all trains are reserved, just some.

This year I think was also the first year we've seen a higher fare than peak fare for the holidays - PHL to LNC was $21 on some reserved trains, while peak fare is $19.
 #1314585  by Lackawanna565

Does anyone know any more footage of the detour trains going over the line?

This is what I found so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQ-GK-T7o0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDPyrmNz7Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUu093XiaxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPZn_WEqNoM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsZZQDr0kA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1318735  by Lackawanna565

Any recent photos of the work they are doing Harrisburg?
 #1322559  by Lackawanna565

Someone told me that the new switches at State are going to be 30mph ones. Is this true. I read a article. And I think on here. They were going to be 45mph ones.
 #1327058  by ExCon90

Been meaning to post this as information, and just remembered: The departure boards at 30th St. have recently begun stating that KEYSTONE TRAIN GATES WILL BE CLOSED TWO MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE ... NO EXCEPTIONS. I inquired at the Customer Service Office what prompted that and was told they have experienced many instances of stragglers bounding down the stairs at the last minute and sometimes trying to board trains that are already moving. I asked whether this only affected the Keystone trains and was told yes, it's mostly them. I suppose it may be because if you miss a Keystone you have a longer wait than for a Corridor train.
 #1327160  by Rockingham Racer

ExCon90 wrote:Been meaning to post this as information, and just remembered: The departure boards at 30th St. have recently begun stating that KEYSTONE TRAIN GATES WILL BE CLOSED TWO MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE ... NO EXCEPTIONS. I inquired at the Customer Service Office what prompted that and was told they have experienced many instances of stragglers bounding down the stairs at the last minute and sometimes trying to board trains that are already moving. I asked whether this only affected the Keystone trains and was told yes, it's mostly them. I suppose it may be because if you miss a Keystone you have a longer wait than for a Corridor train.
Not a bad policy, I think. However, it probably should apply to all departures given the busyness of the place.
 #1327164  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Herrick, at CUS it is Five minutes, and I'm sure the officious Station Services staff permit no exceptions.

Any around here who regularly fly know it's ten minutes with the airlines.

It's a good practice, and it holds down on potential tort liability.
 #1327215  by ThirdRail7

Rockingham Racer wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:Been meaning to post this as information, and just remembered: The departure boards at 30th St. have recently begun stating that KEYSTONE TRAIN GATES WILL BE CLOSED TWO MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE ... NO EXCEPTIONS. I inquired at the Customer Service Office what prompted that and was told they have experienced many instances of stragglers bounding down the stairs at the last minute and sometimes trying to board trains that are already moving. I asked whether this only affected the Keystone trains and was told yes, it's mostly them. I suppose it may be because if you miss a Keystone you have a longer wait than for a Corridor train.
Not a bad policy, I think. However, it probably should apply to all departures given the busyness of the place.
There is no need for the through trains since they send them down in advance. They typically don't do that with a Keystone since it is not a through movement and brake tests are required when they change ends. Typically, they wait for crew to give the all clear before the load the train.

Of course, they have opened themselves up to another 2253 situation since there is nothing that says a crew has to actually wait for a gate at Philadelphia.
 #1327445  by Suburban Station

Keystones are unreserved which means you can catch the next one free of charge. If anything it's more worthwhile to catch a regional at the last minute since you will get slammed when you change trains. I suspect that they have been more lax with allowing passengers down...or maybe they're just having problems with delays
 #1327992  by Literalman

Some years ago on a Sunday evening I was traveling with one of my daughters from Fredericksburg, Va., to Lancaster, Pa. We were riding 94 out of Fredericksburg, and knowing that it often runs an hour late, I allowed a two-hour connection in Phila., but 94 was about 2 hours and 5 minutes late. We had friends meeting us at the Lancaster station, and it would be three hours till the next Keystone. We told 94's conductor, who called ahead, and the Keystone train waited. Someone was waiting on the 30th Street concourse to guide us (and a third passenger, as it turned out) to the Keystone. The train departed a few minutes late. I thanked the crew for waiting, and was answered, "Glad to have you aboard." Well done.
 #1328034  by TrainPhotos

Literalman wrote:Some years ago on a Sunday evening I was traveling with one of my daughters from Fredericksburg, Va., to Lancaster, Pa. We were riding 94 out of Fredericksburg, and knowing that it often runs an hour late, I allowed a two-hour connection in Phila., but 94 was about 2 hours and 5 minutes late. We had friends meeting us at the Lancaster station, and it would be three hours till the next Keystone. We told 94's conductor, who called ahead, and the Keystone train waited. Someone was waiting on the 30th Street concourse to guide us (and a third passenger, as it turned out) to the Keystone. The train departed a few minutes late. I thanked the crew for waiting, and was answered, "Glad to have you aboard." Well done.
This right here is what amtrak needs to sell. Customer service & positive customer experiences. Everyone knows flying is a nightmare & driving far can easily be a headache, so why not show the alternative? All aboard america, all aboard amtrak, noimsayin?
 #1328834  by rob216

Anyone here anything about the brush fire along the tracks near Parksburg? It disrupted service on Friday the may 1st.