Railroad Forums 

• All eight Cartier units to LAL?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#419403  by scottychaos

newest news from the rumour mill! :P
The L A & L Railroad Corp has looked at all eight six axle NYSW ALCO and MLW units in Binghamton and Utica and is taking a option to buy all of them pending completion of the WNY&P take over of the NS ex PRR Buffalo line through Olean. The units will be moved to Cohocton on the Bath & Hammondsport RR along with two ex SP&S CEN 425s, one ex M&E and one from Florida, and two ex CP CEN 424s leased from the M&E. Four of the ex Cartier M636s are operating at this time, one more was OOS in Binghamton. The other three units in Utica will need heavy shop work to get back in running condition. The NYSW shop has moved them into the shop to get them ready for shipping to Cohocton, NY. A fifth 4 axle unit, RS36 418 from the Ontario Central is being shipped to Lakeville for use on the LA&L. The Ontario Central might become a Finger Lakes operation.

Al Gorney
from: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LAL_RAIL/message/3762

Im not sure who Al is, but he appears credible and knowledgeable.
if this ends up being true, all 8 engines could go "full-circle" and end up back in Cohocton! :P
woo! :P

sadly the C636's will probably be parts sources..but you never know!
its an amazing time to be an Alco fan in Western NY! :P :P

Scot

#419408  by Alcoman

Scott,
Al Gorney is a railroad employee-I am not sure if he is with the NYSW or LA&L, but he is stating the facts. All 8 units will be returned to service. The 2 C636's I am told will be repaired at some point.
I suspect that they are going to the shop in Cohocton for servicing only become there not enough room in Falconer. I am also guessing that their will be a fury of activity there as the deadline for startup is Aug 3rd (unless it changed)
I know that some units will be repainted after they are serviced. As I understand it, the 550 is on the top of the list. As far as the 636's go, one can only hope that at least some of them will be repainted right away.
Keep an eye on the B&H as I suspect, you could see test runs with the locomotives on a regular basis until they are released for service in Falconer.

#419455  by Luther Brefo

As Alcoman said, all eight are to be put into service.
They are to head to Cohocton because there is no space in Lakeville, and there is no space in Falconer. What's more is the 73 is also in Cohocton still. Cohocton is about to be loaded with Alcos! Thirteen in all.

Hi

#419479  by thebigham

Great news!!

Al Gorney always gives accurate info.

Chris

#419571  by Luther Brefo

Moderator's Note:

I split the topics in two. This one for the discussion of the Big Alcos and the other thread found here: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41179 is about the ONCT/FGLK merger. But apparently some of the posts that were not supposed to leave this thread migrated to the new thread as well.

#419584  by MEC407

Hopefully LAL will have better luck with them than NYSW did!

#419592  by Luther Brefo

MEC407 wrote:Hopefully LAL will have better luck with them than NYSW did!
The CMO and his Crew will surely put these engines to good use. They are more than capable of rebuilding these engines and keeping them running. Case in point being the other locomotives in the fleet.

#419594  by MEC407

NYSW just seems to be cursed when it comes to Alcos. I always cringe when I read about what happened with their C430s. :(

Does LAL still have the C424Ms they bought from Guilford?

#419608  by bwparker1

MEC407 wrote:NYSW just seems to be cursed when it comes to Alcos. I always cringe when I read about what happened with their C430s. :(

Does LAL still have the C424Ms they bought from Guilford?
YES

#419614  by Luther Brefo

MEC407 wrote: Does LAL still have the C424Ms they bought from Guilford?
They are now 421, 422, 423, and 424.

Pictured here. All are alive and well.

Doug Gavvitt

Richard S. Perry

Steve Timko

Bill Miller
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

#419762  by sallenparks

I know I know wait and see what happens but I just can't help myself.What one of the C/M636's do you think will be class engine 636.Will it be one of the C636's their 636-2&-3 or M636 43 EX.CN 2300 I forgot her Q number.SORRY I COULDN"T HELP IT.

#419770  by Luther Brefo

sallenparks wrote:I know I know wait and see what happens but I just can't help myself.What one of the C/M636's do you think will be class engine 636.Will it be one of the C636's their 636-2&-3 or M636 43 EX.CN 2300 I forgot her Q number.SORRY I COULDN"T HELP IT.
It'd be nice if one of the Demonstrators became the class engine. They are now 3660 (636-2) and 3662 (636-3).

#419805  by alsorailfan

Luther,
The first and fourth links shows a 'no image to display'.
Chris

#419810  by pablo

If this happens, you can be sure that the powers that be at the LAL and WNYP will do these units the right way...even if they don't get painted right away.

Yes, that will be the next whine...when will they be painted???? (Answer: When Kevin is good and g%&*amned ready.)

Dave Becker

#419817  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:If this happens, you can be sure that the powers that be at the LAL and WNYP will do these units the right way...even if they don't get painted right away.

Yes, that will be the next whine...when will they be painted???? (Answer: When Kevin is good and g%&*amned ready.)

Dave Becker
In addition, I would say that right now, painting for the most part is at the bottom of this list of things to do. Unless the date has changed, the railroad has a deadline looming to begin operations. They will have to get a least some of the 6-axles serviced before then and shipped down to Falconer.
It all adds up to this: Time+$$$+ manpower=painting.