Railroad Forums 

• All eight Cartier units to LAL?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#420598  by Luther Brefo

Angus202 wrote:Luther, the 4223 & 4228 are air start units, little bit more of a pain than holding down the starter. :wink: Then again, aren't the 430's that M&E sold off to the WNY&P air starts as well?
Good to know. I guess the Canadians preferred air starters. The 430's and the 630's and actually the 636's should all have air starters. As far as I know, most locomotives with A.C. Traction Alternators are started with compressed air.

Wear ear plugs and warn those around you of what is about to happen or else someone might get startled. :)

#420607  by railwatcher

......and an air leak could be a no start?

#420661  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:......and an air leak could be a no start?
Charge it up again. :) Stationary compressor or use another locomotive to pump up the air. There are ways around this. On the C630, the third air tank holds air for the air starters.

Look here for the third tank on DL 3642

http://www.railpictures.net/images/3/3642.jpg.38581.jpg
 #420726  by EDM5970

Ari starters are not so much as a Canadian preference as they are a practical way to start an alternator equipped locomotive. Locomotives with DC generators are started by motoring the main generator with power from the batteries. Until GE come out with the Dash-8s (?), you could not start an alternator equipped unit using the alternator.

Air starters were a common method; also used was the method of motoring the aux. generator and exciter (GY-27s) from the batteries. There were also some GEs (NYC U-30Bs as an example) that had a pair of hugh automotive or truck style starter motors and a ring gear on the flywheel.

Air starters are also used in marine applications, where there are no generators OR alternators. I've seen them on a Coast Guard cutter, powered by a pair of 18-251s.

#420740  by railwatcher

There are some diesel engines that also have "air assisted" starters. Detroit offered some years ago, but there are few still operating. Older 6v92 engines had it, in buses. When a bus had no air, it didn't start very well, they also had weak electrical systems, jump starts were a plenty.
 #420744  by Luther Brefo

EDM5970 wrote:Ari starters are not so much as a Canadian preference as they are a practical way to start an alternator equipped locomotive. Locomotives with DC generators are started by motoring the main generator with power from the batteries. Until GE come out with the Dash-8s (?), you could not start an alternator equipped unit using the alternator.
I was referring to the 424s. As far as I know, Alco only started using air starters on the 3000+ HP locomotives (C430, C630, C636) they produced. Everything up until that point were started with the batteries. The C628 was the last one to feature the generator starter.

I have not heard of any American built Alco using air starters below the 3000 HP mark. These two 424s are MLW(Canadian) built. The rest of the LA&L fleet cranks from the generator, except for SIXX 73, WNYP 630 and WNYP 430-433. Again these exceptions are the higher horsepower locomotives.

#420784  by Herr Spreng

CP converted several C-424's to AC/DC using components from retired M 630/636's. Hence the need for air starters.

#420992  by ANDY117

5 are currently here in Binghamton. 3664,3666,3668,3670, and 3672 is our local switcher. All are M636s.

The only other units are the 3660,77 (3662), and the 3674, all of which are in Utica last time I checked.

#432253  by railwatcher

All eight 636's are now in Binghamton, bound for Cohocton on the B&H. RRPX has purchased all eight and resold 3 with option on a 4th to ALCO-C leasing. ALCO-C leasing will be sending those units on to the WNYP. It has been credibly noted that the 2 former C636 ALCO demos have significant freeze damage and are not economically feasible to repair.

#434029  by sallenparks

3664,3666,3668 are now in Elmira yard.