Railroad Forums 

• Alcos Currently For Sale

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#287392  by traingeek8223

Cape Cod RR 1058 is for sale also(S4).

#287465  by BrianM

traingeek8223 wrote:Cape Cod RR 1058 is for sale also(S4).

I have been told from more than 1 source that this unit has some issues and that it was best to stay away.

Brian

#287514  by MEC407

RS-3 wrote:LNA&C (367) has been in storage since its purchase about 3 years ago but I believe it was runnable when acquired. LNA&C simply didn't need its service but acquired it for another venture. Its often listed as a RS-11m having apparently been upgraded at some point. Its ex-Maine Coast, ex-N&W and has dynamic brakes.
The 367 seemed to be a good unit when Maine Coast had it, right up to the end when MC shut down. The crews seemed to like it. I have no idea what kind of condition it's in now, but it was definitely usable when MC sold it.

#290564  by traingeek8223

Lake State's S1 is listed on Rail Swap. Also the ad for LNA&C 367 has reappered.

#291082  by Bryanjones

regarding the LNAC, the railroad had 4 locomotives for sale after being taken over by a new owner. These consisted of 1 RS11, 1 C420 and 2 C424's. This info was confirmed by the railroad earlier in the summer. The C420 is operable and was rotated in service with an RS36. The RS11 was operable when aquired by the railroad, though it was never used in service. The pair of C424's were reported to be operable though they needed a little work when aquired by the Quebec Gatineau. These units were never started by the LNAC however and they have been in dead storage ever since aquisition.
Aside from these locomotives the LNAC retained 1 Alco RS36, 1 CAT repowered S4 (CS9) and a GE 45 tonner. There were 2 additional repowered S4's but both of these units were in the process of being scrapped and should be gone by now. The CAT prime movers from these units were sold and some parts were salvaged, primarily the trucks with the remaining hulks (frame,cab, hood) being scrapped.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

hi

#317739  by thebigham

Garland McKee reports that Knox & Kane Alco RS36 is still for sale.

#318086  by 2spot

Its on Railswap. Ad#6686. Description: Alco RS36 for sale. Just had wheels and traction motor changed. Built 1962, 1750 HP, 26L Brake Serious Inquiries ONLY (my note shouldnt it say 2000 HP?)

#318112  by Allen Hazen

1750 hp **is** a strange rqting for an Alco. RS36 was officially 1800; it was the RS32 that was 2000.

Maybe someone thought "it's the operational equivalent of a GP-9, and they're 1750."

But how precise are the horsepower ratings on locomotives, anyway? Wouldn't 50hp be within the range of variation depending on the weather and how long it's been since last tune-up?

#318119  by 2spot

I stand corrected. 2000HP was the RS32. I dont know why I lumped them together.

#318170  by railroadcarmover

Could the 1750 hp rating be the actual rating from a load box test?

#318184  by Alcoman

There was a Railswap ad by someone looking for a C420 or M420. Anyone know of one for sale?

#318221  by MEC407

Maine Central considered its 1800 HP U18Bs to be equivalent to its 2000 HP GP38s for operational purposes. Maybe this railroad considers its RS36 to be operationally equivalent to a GP9.

#318256  by GOLDEN-ARM

I had the owner of an ALCO RSD-5 riding on my train last night. He indicated he wanted to sell, or trade it, for a RS-11, or RS-32/36. If anyone knows of anyone, who wants to buy, or trade, send me a PM, will put the interested parties together. Regards....... :wink:

#318260  by MEC407

That ex-Maine Coast, exx-CV, exxx-NW RS11M is still available, I think. Decent price, too. Don't think the owners want to take an RSD5 in trade, though. :wink:
 #318336  by jr

pablo wrote: I have a picture someplace of the K&K unit...was it a cheaply done chop nose job, or am I thinking of another unit?

Dave Becker
Dave,

Based on your description, I suspect that you might have been referring to the Knox & Kane chop-nosed EMD GP-9 (or similar model). It is a former Western Maryland unit, and the short hood on their after-market chop noses is different from most others. It is, perhaps a foot higher than the "standard" EMD chop nose.

I can't say anything about the relative quality of the job - I don't know whether it's cheaply done, well done, or something in between. But it is undoubtedly different.

JR