Railroad Forums 

• Alco Turbo on an F-M Opie???

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#438802  by Paul

Any opinions on this?

#439939  by Herr Spreng

That idea was conceived some 40 plus years ago. As of late, I believe that an ABB turbo is used. Worked pretty well...

H S

#441157  by EDM5970

The US Coast Guard 378' cutters have turbocharged FMs as main prop. The turbos are ahead of and feed the normal FM Roots blowers. Of course, when they really need the speed, they switch over to the gas turbines. I have no idea who supplied either the turbos or gas turbines.

I have seen turbocharged Detroit/GMs V-12s, (12V71 or similar model number), and I believe GM has been doing this for years with the (X)-71 series engines, and possibly others.

The EMD turbo, the GP-20 was the first (and perhaps the worst), is a whole different animal. It is gear driven at lower speeds, and operates as a free-wheeling turbo at higher speeds.
 #472923  by fmnut

The Russians have been there, done that back in the Cold War era. The primary diesel engine in heavy haul Soviet units was a copy of FM O-P from US minesweepers acquired under Lend-Lease in WWII. Early units were 2000 HP 10 cylinders, normally aspirated (Roots blower) 6 motor 6 axle, boxcab configuration. They tried a 12 cyl. n/a engine to get 3000 HP but this was unsuccessful, so they went to 10 cyl. with twin turbochargers. I have seen these units in action myself. You get the best of both worlds with these, they smoke white on startup from the accumulated lube oil on the top pistons just like any FM, but they also get turbo lag under heavy power and then the smoke switches from white to gray/black just like an Alco.

There are still several thousand of these in service in Russia and former Soviet republics, all 5 foot gauge.

Rich Frey
Temple, PA

#472957  by Alcoman

So what about a ALCO Turbo on a FM engine? Anyone ever seen or heard of one in use?

#472984  by EDM5970

Over on the FM forum, Paul has posted photos from a tour of Beliot that he and his son made. There are two shots of an Alco turbo feeding an 1943 built OP engine.

#534045  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

A certain power plant in Pa. has two 38D 8-1/2's (same as used in the "TRAIN MASTER") types running with ALCO TURBO- SUPERCHARGERS. Horsepower is up around 3000-4000 each, these are standby units which, sound awsome when you hear them test running from the roof. Don't try to figure out where or go there as you will be shot. NO KIDDING!