Railroad Forums 

• ALCO PLANT CONNECTION

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#727682  by Alcoman

I am trying to find out who Alco connected with in Schenectady NY during the 1960's. The connection I am referring to came out from the West side of the plant and parallel to the New York Central before crossing Erie Blvd going South

Was the linkup to the NYC or the D&H ?

Thanks for your help.
John
 #727844  by pablo

John, is this the line that ultimately goes behind the transfer station over by Building 1 of GE? If so, and I think it is, I believe that it's D&H.

Dave Becker
 #727848  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:John, is this the line that ultimately goes behind the transfer station over by Building 1 of GE? If so, and I think it is, I believe that it's D&H.

Dave Becker
I am not familiar with Building 1 of GE. I am talking about the ALCO Plant, Not the GE plant. This line runs behind building 70 in the Alco Plant along the Mohawk River and goes SOUTH and then EAST as it curves to parallel the NYC line. Both the NYC and D&H come close together near the station. See the photo. It goes over a bridge before connecting.

I asking who's railroad did this line connect with ?
Attachments:
ALCO ROW1.jpg
ALCO ROW1.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 9312 times
 #728111  by pablo

I think we're talking about the same place. Got a track map? Are you just asking about the line that peels away from the main there?

The correct answer to your question may depend on what year you're asking about, but I don't know the local history that well to tell you that.

Dave Becker
 #728297  by Alcoman

pablo wrote:I think we're talking about the same place. Got a track map? Are you just asking about the line that peels away from the main there?

The correct answer to your question may depend on what year you're asking about, but I don't know the local history that well to tell you that.

Dave Becker
The year is 1970. The line in picture was intact at least for 5 years after.This was the only connection left as Erie Blvd was rebuilt by then closing down the other D&H connection.
John
 #728417  by pablo

OK. My late grandfather was dead by then, and I hadn't been born yet; grandpa was a worker at ALCO until perhaps 1965 and retired from there, and while I've heard quite a bit from him after death, the layout near the plant isn't something I have heard about. My gut says D&H...but I can't prove it.

Dave Becker
 #1169447  by Engineer Spike

The only D&H line runs parallel to Erie Boulevard. Central had the line northwesterly out if the station. They also had the line from Troy, which crossed the D&H just north of the station.

There was a line from D&H Mohawk Yard, to the Central, which was on the north bank if the Mohawk.

The aerial photo looks like the present track layout. The top of the picture has 3 tracks. Amtrak ( Central heading to the top left, D&H on the right, and the connection in the middle. The connection lets trains from Albany head north on the D&H.
 #1170954  by alzubal

That photo is a long way from the Alco plant. It's just north of the station. NYC to the left D&H and Troy & Schenctady to the right. Alco plant connected across Freemens Bridge Rd. Before the road was rebuilt.
 #1170967  by Alcoman

alzubal wrote:That photo is a long way from the Alco plant. It's just north of the station. NYC to the left D&H and Troy & Schenctady to the right. Alco plant connected across Freedmen Bridge Rd. Before the road was rebuilt.
That connection was with the NYC on the EAST side. It was discontinued and ripped up once the plant was torn down and where Price Chopper headquarters sits now. There was also a connection just North of the divide where the NYC went WEST. Just before the NYC crossed the Mohawk River. That connection was used until the plant trackage was ripped up in 1979
Alcoman.