Railroad Forums 

• Alco headed east.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#195987  by PRRGuy

Hello all,
Just to let you guys know, I was at work in Gary, IN and a eb CSX freight went by with what looked to be a low nose alco unit behind the engines. ( RS-27)? Also, it was in a D&H paint scheme..possibley had the lettering on the long hood painted out. I saw it from a distance as it was going away so i didn't get the best look at it.

#196164  by conrail_engineer

May have been in transport...or perhaps getting some work at one of the CSX terminals.

I know Frontier/Buffalo has done work on odd pieces from time to time...some GP9s and one rig in New Haven paint, an EMD F-unit with a two-axle truck forward and a three axle truck to the rear. I came across a writeup as to that odd offering from EMD but forget the model code.

Anyway...such things are not unknown.

#196181  by paulrail

That was a 5 axle EMD FL-9 in the New Haven RR's "McGinnis" paint scheme. They are ownd by the State of CT DOT and run (ran?) on Metro-North's CT commuter rail lines.

Recently there was a "Farewell to the FL-9s" fan trip in October(?), as they were going to be retired. However, one was spotted running today.

Paul