Railroad Forums 

• Alco C424's

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#253318  by NorfolkSouthernSean

What type of horn did these locomotives carry? I know it's a 3-Chime, Leslie I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anybody know what the exact models is?

#254131  by geep39

The horn used on the C-424's was the Reading's standard for second-generation diesels, the Leslie "Supertyphon" S-3-2r. My guess is that they were the cheapest thing available, knowing the Reading. Are you planning to model? Which model are you planning to mount one on, if so.

#254153  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I have the Atlas Conrail Alco C424 2492. This was a former Reading locomotive. So far I've had to change the fuel tank, add the rain gutters, and I need the right type of horn.

Thanks for the information.
 #254518  by geep39

Yep, that's the horn with the center bell reversed. Fairly easily available. The real challenge is the bracket to mount the horn on the forward cab wall. The proper bracket is found in Cal-Scale's 3-chime horn for an RS-3 that has long and short brackets in it. The short one is the one to use. I hafta look up those numbers for you.