Railroad Forums 

• Alclad2 - Quick Spruce Up of GMC Fishbowl Transit Bus

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1068220  by AntonioFP45

Hi guys,

In advance, please forgive some of the blurry photos.

The subject here is an HO GMC Transit "Fishbowl" bus from Busch. I've always been a big fan of these buses as they were always a part of my childhood and youth years. As a kid, I often rode the prototypes with my mother in NY and worked on them as a young adult at a transit authority. They were built factory tough and many of them racked up millions of miles, individually. Anybody remember the movie "Speed"?

Busch did a nice job on these and for the price they're hard to beat. There are 3 issues that I have with them; two of which are easy to fix.

1. The dull silver finish of the corrugated "aluminum" sheet metal is unrealistic.
2. The painted-on red tail lights.
3. The Condenser Fan Motor cover (roof spoiler) is about 4" too narrow.

Instead of completely redoing the coach, I decided to try the "Work with what you got approach" on this unit and freshen it up a bit without spending a lot of time on it. It's not finished yet, as it needs additional lenses and more weathering (and mirrors; Grrrr!). Like my first unit, I wanted to alter the color scheme to a freelanced version that's in my head.

BTW: I don't know how or where I put them but I can't find the mirrors for both of the buses, lol! I have many storage trays but I likely stored them in the wrong one. I'll probably find them when I'm not looking for them. :-/

Here is the bus in stock form and a photo of a prototype:
Image Image

For those wondering, here's an easy guide that shows with photos how to take apart one of these buses.

http://www.barp.ca/bus/models/buschdisa ... index.html
One thing, though. Instead of a knife to remove the bottom, use a slim flat blade screwdriver. The bottom pops off with minimal effort.

After disassembly, I painted the bottom skirt panel a custom mix of Polly Scale CSX yellow and SCL Caboose Orange, allowed it to cure, then masked it off. I also took the tires off, and simply wet-coated the wheels with the paint mix. I wanted to the stock green to show through to give the effect of some grime and paint chipping on the wheels.

Next, I slowly drilled out the tailight lenses starting with slim drill bits and finishing with larger diameter bits. I would never recommend a Dremel for this. The Pin Vise is much easier to control:

After cleaning out the residue from the lens housings, I carefully wiped off the wall section with isopropyl alcohol several times on a dampened cloth. Next I airbrushed 2 very thin wet coats of medium gloss gray and allowed to cure. Followed up with thin mist coats of Alclad #ALC 119 Airframe Aluminum.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Next, I put the now-Alcladded lower section back in the vise in a vertical position (good idea to apply cloth or masking tape on the jaws of the vise). I next applied "Zap-a-Gap" gel CA adhesive inside of each tail light /brake light housings with a tooth pick. Then carefully picked up each lens and installed. The gel adhesive allowed me enough time to move the MV Lenses around into position. For me, this was the most tedious part of this process.

ImageImage

Interior
I remember well that odd aquamarine-green that the NYC Transit authority had in many of their fishbowl buses. Although I'm not modeling the NYC TA I still wanted to capture that basic appearance. I made a mixture of Polly Scale NYC Jade Green 70% with Polly Scale Penn Central Green 30%. To imitate the semi-polished steel grab rails mounted on the seats, I painted the top section Polly Scale Santa Fe Silver.

ImageImage

Bumpers:

Image Image

I applied thin coats of clear on the rear bumper of this bus to dull it down a bit while I refinished the front bumper to a duller appearance. From my experience the the front bumper dulls more quickly, while the rear bumpers (inspite of the heat from the engine) seem to keep their reflectivity longer (although in New York they were often banged up from tailgaters.....just like today's buses!

I reassembled the unit and took a few shots, including some of my first Busch bus. Notice the stock silver finish of the Yellow fishbowl compared to the unit with the Alclad finish. Both buses have MV Lenses on the rear.

I ran out of MV Lenses so I could not do the bottom lights.

Image Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Here are a few shots with the Condenser Fan Motor Cover (spoiler) removed as it lifts off easily. Many prototype units originally came in this version, with the motor mounted underneath the coach. If you want to model that version, fill in the hole with styrene and body putty. Primer, then paint to match. I plan on purchasing another unit and doing it in that version.

ImageImage

Quick Notes:

A. The MV Lenses I used were slightly oversized. For the brake lights (large) use MV LS-281 instead of LS-200, which is what I used. For the smaller lights MV #220 works nicely.

B. You can alter the Aluminum's appearance (lighter, darker) with the basecoat, just as with passenger rail cars. BTW: Don't use gloss black for the basecoat, use use gloss gray.

I hope that this thread is helpful. I still have a ways to go in finishing both of these buses but imho, a little "sprucing up" like this can really make one of these classic transit workhorse stand out in a city or town scene. ;)
 #1068746  by SlowFreight

I like what you did with these. I have one that's been waiting a few years to receive a coat of CTA's early-80s green scheme...part of the reason I never started was I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to disassemble the blasted thing.

I also always thought these were cool beasts. Recently saw one turned into some sort of eco-friendly exhibit bus, and the high-mounted condenser had been turned into a planter!
 #1068835  by AntonioFP45

SlowFreight

Thank you. Yes, the CTA's used several green schemes but I think this is the one you're referring to: http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimag ... 83&pos=107

That is a very cool looking version and it would be an excellent job to show on a model. Here is the link again, showing how to disassemble one of these buses:

http://www.barp.ca/bus/models/buschdisa ... index.html

It's easy. For separating the top and lower halves of the body, I just slide my finger nail back and forth in the gap until the gap widens slightly, then I carefully pull them apart with gentle wiggling.

I hope you give this a try!
 #1071704  by SlowFreight

Thanks for the link to that picture album! That's the kind of source I've been looking for so I can figure out how to paint these things. You're making me think I should do the green scheme and one of the RTA ones too.

BTW, you should post your bus over at protomodeler.com. I think they'd appreciate it too.
 #1072981  by AntonioFP45

SlowFreight wrote:Thanks for the link to that picture album! That's the kind of source I've been looking for so I can figure out how to paint these things. You're making me think I should do the green scheme and one of the RTA ones too.

BTW, you should post your bus over at protomodeler.com. I think they'd appreciate it too.
Thanks Slowfreight,

I would certainly enjoy seeing one of the 1970s-era RTA schemes as they were attractive and, as far as I know, no modeler has done one and posted photos.

I followed your suggestion and signed up on the protomodeler.com. I didn't even know that website existed! Thanks very much.

High Greens :-)
 #1108294  by jmp883

Nice work! I have a couple of these buses and I'll have to try dressing them up like you did. I'm actually thinking about repainting them in the current NJT bus scheme. I would just need to strip, or at least lessen, the intensity of the green paint on the roof since the NJT scheme requires a white roof. Sounds like a good winter project.......
 #1108668  by AntonioFP45

Thank you, JM.

The white, black, and angled stripe paint scheme of the NJ Transit scheme looked striking on the bus fleet. http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimag ... fullsize=1

One catch to consider is that if you airbrush white paint on that dark green roof, the dark green may affect the white's appearance (bleedthrough). Since the green roof is very smooth, you might get away with applying a medium gray primer to the body. But, imho, for a white scheme, you'll be better off just paint stripping the entire unit (upper & lower halves and condenser fan motor cover).
jmp883 wrote:Nice work! I have a couple of these buses and I'll have to try dressing them up like you did. I'm actually thinking about repainting them in the current NJT bus scheme. I would just need to strip, or at least lessen, the intensity of the green paint on the roof since the NJT scheme requires a white roof. Sounds like a good winter project.......