Railroad Forums 

• Adirondack cabooses

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#370200  by BR&P

I was looking at a photo in "Rails In The North Woods", page 144, which shows an ALCO switcher and a wooden 19000-series caboose picking up a L&BR steamer for movement to Steamtown in 1964. It struck me that the caboose clearly has an oil fill pipe on the side. I can't recall seeing other wooden cabooses with oil stoves, at least the ones in our area kept the coal stove until retirement. Did NYC have a program to convert to oil stoves, which was rendered moot by the builing of the transfer cabooses, or was this a special modification for cabooses in the north woods? It's well known that NYC had to use oil burning steam engines in the Adirondacks during summer months. But one would think that during hot summer months there would not be a need for a fire in the caboose stove anyway, except perhaps for cooking. Any info out there?

#370379  by Noel Weaver

I don't know about the caboose situation but I do know that even in the
summer months it can get quite chilly in the Adirondacks and maybe the
stoves do get used in the summer time too for heat.
Noel Weaver

#370886  by urrengr2003

Spent two years in Utica '68 & '69. During that time we went north on the M&M once a week on Saturday up & return Sunday. Had to arrange with Dewitt for road power to arrive Friday pm on DA-24; usually three RS-3's. They would send a 19000 series cab because all we had at Utica were Transfer Cabs. Crews always took a Transfer Cab and refused the wood cab account the newer cab had oil heat. This was no problem for us because we always had xtra cabs on the weekend that belonged to the several 'short jobs' that worked five days during the week. Personally never saw a 19000 series cab with anything but a coal stove; this is not to say there wern't oil furnaces in one or more of them, I never came across one either on the B&A or The Mohawk in my travels.
 #1241275  by BR&P

Just thought I'd bump this up in case we have new readers, or old readers with new knowledge. Thanks!