Railroad Forums 

• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1215178  by Tadman

The old thread was getting a bit long in tooth and varied in scope, so let's start a new one - delivery and testing only, please.
 #1215260  by ACeInTheHole

lirr42 wrote:^
Tadman wrote:delivery and testing only, please.
Im aware of that lirr.. Im just wondering about his stance regarding general discussion because come on lets be practical its going to happen.
 #1215281  by Tadman

Let's try to stay somewhat focused - no drifting off to bar cars, where's cruiser, why don't we have two crescent frequencies... You get the picture. I don't care if it digresses a bit to ACS truck design or coupler placement, but I don't want a lesson on how HEP works on a P30CH.
 #1215299  by Fan Railer

Tadman wrote:Let's try to stay somewhat focused - no drifting off to bar cars, where's cruiser, why don't we have two crescent frequencies... You get the picture. I don't care if it digresses a bit to ACS truck design or coupler placement, but I don't want a lesson on how HEP works on a P30CH.
So a reiteration of my request for the Tractive Effort Curve graph to be made public isn't too off kilter then.
 #1215303  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:
Tadman wrote:Let's try to stay somewhat focused - no drifting off to bar cars, where's cruiser, why don't we have two crescent frequencies... You get the picture. I don't care if it digresses a bit to ACS truck design or coupler placement, but I don't want a lesson on how HEP works on a P30CH.
So a reiteration of my request for the Tractive Effort Curve graph to be made public isn't too off kilter then.

Good luck with that request. BTW, the 603 is preparing to head out of NY.
 #1215409  by AMTK1007

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:

Good luck with that request. BTW, the 603 is preparing to head out of NY.
Third Rail,

Where is the 603 going once it leaves Hornell? Is it going to the east end of the corridor for training, I.E. NHV or BOS?
 #1215448  by ThirdRail7

AMTK1007 wrote:
Third Rail,

Where is the 603 going once it leaves Hornell? Is it going to the east end of the corridor for training, I.E. NHV or BOS?
Unless plans change, it will head to Wilmington. Boston is supposed to get the 605 for hands on. New York is supposed to get the 606. Washington will hold on to the 604 until next week or so, at which point it heads the Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Meanwhile, you guys out west are still hogging the 600 and 601. They should be released soon and they will also head to Wilmington.

That was the last plan I was made aware of.
 #1215484  by jstolberg

I think the Canadians have just given us an end date for delivery of the order.
Five major companies bid on the RFP that Calgary Transit put out. The City has finalized negotiations with the highest rated bidder and has entered into a contract with Siemens Canada for the purchase of new S200 light rail vehicles. These vehicles will be manufactured in Sacramento, CA. at a Siemens Industry Inc. plant.

The first new LRV will be delivered in August 2015 with the full order of 60 to be completed by December 2016.
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/l ... 48269.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Siemens should be done with the ACS-64 delivery to Amtrak by the end of FY 2015.
 #1215502  by Greg Moore

jstolberg wrote:I think the Canadians have just given us an end date for delivery of the order.
Five major companies bid on the RFP that Calgary Transit put out. The City has finalized negotiations with the highest rated bidder and has entered into a contract with Siemens Canada for the purchase of new S200 light rail vehicles. These vehicles will be manufactured in Sacramento, CA. at a Siemens Industry Inc. plant.

The first new LRV will be delivered in August 2015 with the full order of 60 to be completed by December 2016.
http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgary/l ... 48269.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So Siemens should be done with the ACS-64 delivery to Amtrak by the end of FY 2015.
I'm missing something. What does one have to do with the other?
 #1215504  by Tadman

I think he's implying that Siemens will need the factory floor space for the Calgary order. Ergo, the last ACS will be out the door a month or two before the first Calgary LRV. That's a reasonable conclusion, given that it's not a high-volume operation like EMD or GE. There's probably one production line going at a time there, because that's all that can be supported in North America when you have multiple manufacturers operating in-country. Keep in mind, we have a historic high for passenger car and locomotive production capacity in North American right now - Kawasaki in Nebraska, Sumitomo in Rochelle, Siemens in Sacramento, BBD in Vermont, CAF in Elmira, Talgo in WI (soon to close), Brookville, MPI... That's more than we've had since the collapse of the domestic car building industry around 1980, and probably more than we've had since the 1950's given that most domestic car builders shifted to freight work because passenger work dried up around 1955.
 #1215526  by ACeInTheHole

So the Wilmington boys will get the entire 600-603 batch? Im assuming thats for crew classes and training? I know the Wilmington shops are Amtraks main electric locomotive base.
 #1215529  by ThirdRail7

They will head there for mods. 605 and 606 will be used for hands on training and acceptance runs. Speaking of which, 602 is heading to Bos today. It returns Friday.