Railroad Forums 

• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1216430  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Well, as long as it works, it doesn't matter I suppose.

Thats about all I care about it. I am all for function over form. I could care less if it looked like a P5A boxcab from the PRR. If it moves the cars down the road and gets the job done and saves Amtrak a ton of money, and helps improve the reputation of the railroad via OTP I am ALL for it. They could paint the whole thing white or black for all I care! LOL.

Remember what happened last time we got flashy engines? The HHP-8 happened. It might look nasty, but its a big piece of crap!
My thoughts exactly gentlemen. I do not care how it looks either, i was just adding my own thoughts to the asthetics discussion while the topic was at hand. And bahahaha Approach.. Nice one using similar words for opposite meaning
 #1216437  by Fan Railer

25Hz wrote: (Specs say its max operational speed is 135, but i'm not sure if that is it's absolute max or the "rev limiter" for revenue service)
135 is probably not the "absolute" max. If Amtrak really wanted to play with the locomotive, they could probably get it to run much faster. However, that is obviously impractical, considering the wear on the motors and gearing units at such speeds. I am saying this simply because an unmodified Siemens Taurus locomotive over in Europe reached 357 km/h (222 mph) during one such test run.

The 135 number is simply a semantic in this case, since the FRA probably has some requirement for the locomotives to be certified to run at a speed somewhat higher than planned max revenue service speed to ensure that there is some kind of margin of error (safety wise). The you will not see these locomotives run more than 125 in revenue service. I would expect the onboard computer to electronically cut off tractive effort (power to the motors) if the units exceeded 125 in service, say, running downhill or something.
 #1216444  by lirr42

ThirdRail7 wrote:Who knows...maybe Amtrak will sell ad space on the side of the ACS-64s. Goodness knows there is enough room!
I have a feeling that it will become a prime blank canvas for those lovely 'urban artists' should an ACS be left someplace easily accessible
 #1216773  by Fan Railer

Three images from Siemens showing 600 and 601 coupled together:
http://www.siemens.com/press/pool/de/pr ... 300dpi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.siemens.com/press/pool/de/pr ... 300dpi.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1216794  by AMTK1007

Here is a hint for you all... Look for photos of the 604...
 #1216798  by ApproachMedium

602 is in the shop in wilmington today, did not see the 603 or 604 when I went by. The train with cab car was missing though.
 #1216811  by AMTK1007

beanbag wrote:I think if Amtk's post is anything to go by.. I think we can safely assume 604 and the trainset are out somewhere.
Actually.. i was a bit too vague, my apoligies. Look for a picture of the 604 to see what they will really look like ( i don't know about the 603)
 #1216821  by ACeInTheHole

AMTK1007 wrote:
beanbag wrote:I think if Amtk's post is anything to go by.. I think we can safely assume 604 and the trainset are out somewhere.
Actually.. i was a bit too vague, my apoligies. Look for a picture of the 604 to see what they will really look like ( i don't know about the 603)
Oh. Okay, my bad. Yeah ive seen those, theres a bunch on railpictures.
 #1216894  by JR4815D2

Did anyone notice that 602 is the only ACS-64 locomotive with LED lights? 603 didn't have them nor 601.
 #1217004  by 25Hz

JR4815D2 wrote:Did anyone notice that 602 is the only ACS-64 locomotive with LED lights? 603 didn't have them nor 601.
They may have been changed out?
 #1217010  by ACeInTheHole

25Hz wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote:Did anyone notice that 602 is the only ACS-64 locomotive with LED lights? 603 didn't have them nor 601.
They may have been changed out?
I think ThirdRail or Approach covered this awhile back. The search function is bust though so I cant find any posts on it. I think it had something to do with FRA approval and that the other locos will be retrofitted.
 #1217020  by ApproachMedium

All of them are supposed to get converted over at some point, and they should start happening via the production line. The 602 did not have them either I believe they were installed in Wilmington.