Railroad Forums 

• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1216036  by JR4815D2

nomis wrote:
beanbag wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
So if youre atthe controls ThirdRail what youre saying in a subtle fashion is for us to expect you to throw a wet paper towel ROLL at us? :-D i always seem to be working on the days when 602 is moving around my area.. Today i will miss it yet again
Just though i heard that [deep, low freq. when off-axis] 602 horn up here in BOS near Ruggles about 11:05am.

Do we know the next step after arriving in NYP today ?
Last week they waited till rush hour was done to send it down past NYP. I wonder if they would the same today?
 #1216040  by 25Hz

JR4815D2 wrote:
nomis wrote:
beanbag wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
So if youre atthe controls ThirdRail what youre saying in a subtle fashion is for us to expect you to throw a wet paper towel ROLL at us? :-D i always seem to be working on the days when 602 is moving around my area.. Today i will miss it yet again
Just though i heard that [deep, low freq. when off-axis] 602 horn up here in BOS near Ruggles about 11:05am.

Do we know the next step after arriving in NYP today ?
Last week they waited till rush hour was done to send it down past NYP. I wonder if they would the same today?
Westbound traffic PM peak from NYP has the north tunnel at capacity, and eastbound traffic can't really be held up either (some turn in station anyways) so i'm not surprised. If it was AM peak they could probably sneak it in between one of the revenue "reverse peak" trains.
 #1216080  by Adirondacker

25Hz wrote:

Westbound traffic PM peak from NYP has the north tunnel at capacity, and eastbound traffic can't really be held up either (some turn in station anyways) so i'm not surprised. If it was AM peak they could probably sneak it in between one of the revenue "reverse peak" trains.
They would have to wedge it into the LIRR's westbound AM peak.
 #1216108  by BuddSilverliner269

News sure does travel fast, haha. Yes I did run this new unit and 5 coaches from New Haven to NYP. Very lovely. Certain thing I will have to get use to but very smooth and fast. I'm impressed. Of course the faster acceleration won't do anything for us on Metro North territory but that's a different story ;)
 #1216118  by DutchRailnut

BuddSilverliner269 wrote: Of course the faster acceleration won't do anything for us on Metro North territory but that's a different story ;)
you need frequent and fast acceleration to get out of all those speed restrictions, any engineer can go fast, it take a special Engineer to take the challenge ;-)
 #1216133  by runningwithscalpels

fl9m2004 wrote:Your saying I missed seeing it head southbound?

Um, yeah considering Mr. Silverliner there was running it...
 #1216136  by Fan Railer

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:News sure does travel fast, haha. Yes I did run this new unit and 5 coaches from New Haven to NYP. Very lovely. Certain thing I will have to get use to but very smooth and fast. I'm impressed. Of course the faster acceleration won't do anything for us on Metro North territory but that's a different story ;)
From SuperStarRendon again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCXps9MFqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - ACS-64 with keystone type set coming through Larchmont with K5LA and braking action.
Would this be you at the controls Budd?
 #1216172  by BuddSilverliner269

Dutch, that made me laugh. All joking aside, I was very impressed with the engine so far. The Germans definitely know how to build them. I can't wait to see how it runs and performs with more cars and other variables but so far and extremly fast and smooth accelerating locomotive not unlike the HHP8s. Fanrailer yes this was me. Had to watch the horn show since I had bosses on there with me.
 #1216187  by Fan Railer

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Dutch, that made me laugh. All joking aside, I was very impressed with the engine so far. The Germans definitely know how to build them. I can't wait to see how it runs and performs with more cars and other variables but so far and extremly fast and smooth accelerating locomotive not unlike the HHP8s. Fanrailer yes this was me. Had to watch the horn show since I had bosses on there with me.
Completely understandable haha. Glad you had fun operating this beauty. She'll definitely perform well with those longer Thanksgiving trains.
 #1216188  by ACeInTheHole

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Dutch, that made me laugh. All joking aside, I was very impressed with the engine so far. The Germans definitely know how to build them. I can't wait to see how it runs and performs with more cars and other variables but so far and extremly fast and smooth accelerating locomotive not unlike the HHP8s. Fanrailer yes this was me. Had to watch the horn show since I had bosses on there with me.
One key difference with regard to the HHP8s.. These will actually work.
 #1216202  by lirr42

beanbag wrote:One key difference with regard to the HHP8s.. These will actually work.
Or at least we hope ;-)
 #1216211  by JR4815D2

Extra AEM-7 938 with ACS-64 No. 603 and Cafe Car No. 43391 should be in NYP at the moment getting ready to leave to WIL. Left SSY about 20 mins ago or so.
 #1216219  by Acela Express

Yup 603 is on track 13 getting ready to head down the road. Nice looking motor up close. The cab is nice and big. Plus I love how they thought about giving engineers room to move around in the back when they need to recycle the engine or use the restroom a big improvement over the aem-7's and the hhp-8's.