• ACS-64 Deliveries and Testing

  • Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

  • 111 posts
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8
  by ACeInTheHole
 
chrisf wrote:The 602 was pushing cab car 9635 and some other Amfleets eastbound through Ruggles station in Boston tonight at about 5:30. The 602 was the only power on the train, no backup AEM7.
Thats a good sign they trust it enough to let it run on its own.
  by ApproachMedium
 
AFAIK all of the cab car runs have been with just the ACS and no backup power, at least for the last few weeks. I think it went up initially with the AEM-7 901/905 one of them two. Which is funny because both of those engines have a horrible history of issues themselves.
  by lirr42
 
ApproachMedium wrote:I think it went up initially with the AEM-7 901/905 one of them two. Which is funny because both of those engines have a horrible history of issues themselves.
Maybe the ACS is the backup for the AEM's! :wink:
  by 25Hz
 
lirr42 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:I think it went up initially with the AEM-7 901/905 one of them two. Which is funny because both of those engines have a horrible history of issues themselves.
Maybe the ACS is the backup for the AEM's! :wink:
They were paired? Perhaps fresh from shop etc?
  by acelaphillies
 
lirr42 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:I think it went up initially with the AEM-7 901/905 one of them two. Which is funny because both of those engines have a horrible history of issues themselves.
Maybe the ACS is the backup for the AEM's! :wink:
AFAIK, the 901 was sitting in the yard at Wilmington Shops for over a year before this run. I guess that means that they had a lot of faith in the ACS-64. They probably said something to the effect of: "We should put on a protect engine just in case, but we highly doubt that we will need it, so we will put on the 901." But, I'm no railroader so this is just speculation.
  by jwhite07
 
The photos and videos I've seen of an AEM-7 trailing the ACS-64 test set show the AEM-7's panto always down. Could the Meatball simply be playing the role of a control car in that case?
  by ApproachMedium
 
They were not paired, it was one of the two I know that. The 901 has been having quite a bucket full of problems going back a year. The 905 kept blowing power modules. It was let out back around March to run and after it broke again they took it back and i haven't really seen it on the road since. I dont think since the day i started working there that i ever saw the 905 go for any long period of time without having some kind of problem. It loves to burn out throttles.
  by chuchubob
 
jwhite07 wrote:The photos and videos I've seen of an AEM-7 trailing the ACS-64 test set show the AEM-7's panto always down. Could the Meatball simply be playing the role of a control car in that case?
On the Sept 6 run, 901's pan was up.
  by jwhite07
 
chuchubob wrote:On the Sept 6 run, 901's pan was up.
Thank you, Mr. Vogel. I've since dug around and seen other examples of the trailing Meatball with panto up as well. Guess it doesn't really matter when the ACS is leading and doing the work.
  by ThirdRail7
 
The 901, which was benched in WIL for over a year as Acelaphillies mentioned is the dedicated unit for the ACS-64 test trains. 905 hasn't been involved with the test train to date. If you recall, the 901 was traveling with the test train because it would turn at various interlockings to perform tests. Without another unit, you'd have to cut the ACS off and run around the train in the middle of nowhere.

Once they completed enough tests and made certain adjustments (which clearly didn't help yesterday, right Approach Medium LOL!!!!!) they started the cab car tests. There are a few hiccups here and there, but nothing too major I suppose.

Speaking of tests, the 603 sandwich is on 284(20) and 68(20). At NYP, they'll yogi it to a lite engine move to WIL at some point Sat.
  by JR4815D2
 
ThirdRail7 wrote:The 901, which was benched in WIL for over a year as Acelaphillies mentioned is the dedicated unit for the ACS-64 test trains. 905 hasn't been involved with the test train to date. If you recall, the 901 was traveling with the test train because it would turn at various interlockings to perform tests. Without another unit, you'd have to cut the ACS off and run around the train in the middle of nowhere.

Once they completed enough tests and made certain adjustments (which clearly didn't help yesterday, right Approach Medium LOL!!!!!) they started the cab car tests. There are a few hiccups here and there, but nothing too major I suppose.

Speaking of tests, the 603 sandwich is on 284(20) and 68(20). At NYP, they'll yogi it to a lite engine move to WIL at some point Sat.

Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?
  by ThirdRail7
 
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
  by acelaphillies
 
ThirdRail7 wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
I guess something has really changed in Budd between now and 2010!!!
http://youtu.be/7GABZVfMMUo?t=5m38s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HAHAHAHAHA!!! ;) It must have been a rough 3 years!!
  by ACeInTheHole
 
ThirdRail7 wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
So if youre atthe controls ThirdRail what youre saying in a subtle fashion is for us to expect you to throw a wet paper towel ROLL at us? :-D i always seem to be working on the days when 602 is moving around my area.. Today i will miss it yet again
  by nomis
 
beanbag wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Is 603 on a revenue train 284 or 68, or is that being moved as a lite equipment paired with a P32AC-DM? Also, isn't 602 coming back from Boston Today towards WIL as well?

284 and 68 are both revenue trains. 602 is heading back from Boston as well. It should be underway. As a matter of fact, I believe Buddsilverliner269 is supposed to be at the controls for part of the run. This is bad news for the video takers, because he said he isn't blowing his horn at you or dimming the headlight as the train passes. He may even throw wet paper towels at you as he goes by. Your luck has run out! :P
So if youre atthe controls ThirdRail what youre saying in a subtle fashion is for us to expect you to throw a wet paper towel ROLL at us? :-D i always seem to be working on the days when 602 is moving around my area.. Today i will miss it yet again
Just though i heard that [deep, low freq. when off-axis] 602 horn up here in BOS near Ruggles about 11:05am.

Do we know the next step after arriving in NYP today ?
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 8