Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1598764  by STrRedWolf

west point wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 pm I remember a video of a freight loco pulling an AX-1 in CT going to BOS,
That's what I mean. If the AX-1's can't get power (sheared off panos, all of them, or the caternary's de-energized), how are they going to get moving again? You gotta get a few diesels in there to haul 'em to a station, offload, and then haul to a yard for repairs.
 #1598771  by 8th Notch

To clarify my previous response since I re looked at what you asked, yes the Acela’s can be hauled by another engine but you cannot use the coaches alone without the power cars. It is possibly to hook up another engine and supply HEP to the train set however the lead engine cannot get all potential alarm data from the trainset that is being hauled so it’s unlikely to see HST’s hauled by another engine in regular pax service.
 #1598844  by STrRedWolf

8th Notch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 pm
MattW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:49 am Aren't the Acela-Is limited to 15mph when being towed?
125 max
If that's max tow speed, then get those HHP-8's rehabbed and in Acela colors. Everything on those sets is now cab or passenger.
 #1598852  by WhartonAndNorthern

STrRedWolf wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:55 am
8th Notch wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:50 pm
MattW wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:49 am Aren't the Acela-Is limited to 15mph when being towed?
125 max
If that's max tow speed, then get those HHP-8's rehabbed and in Acela colors. Everything on those sets is now cab or passenger.
Tow means tow and operate brakes, not provide electrical power for passenger comfort and probably no toilet flushing or door opening.
 #1598894  by STrRedWolf

photobug56 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:57 am So if one breaks down and has to be towed with a passenger load, it's going to get very messy and smelly!
Yeah, at worst case it gets towed to a station and off-loaded. People will get pissed but the train's broke, gotta haul it off the line and get them on something else.