Railroad Forums 

• Acela First Class Meal Reviews

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#827395  by Greg Moore

I figured others might like to get some insight into the First Class meals on Acela. They change from time to time.

Now I don't ride often (work won't pay and so I have to pay the upgrade from Regional to Acela myself and then I use a coupon to get to 1st class) so these won't be too common.

First: The Nut and Fruit "Rub". Basically a variety of nuts with some raisins and other things. Others may enjoy it. Not me. I"ll dig through the nuts and pull out the peanuts.

For today's main course I had the Thai Chili Noodle Salad with some hot chicken on top. VERY good. It is a base of ice-berg lettuce, cabbage and some other sald items with some noodles on top and then if you wish hot or cold chicken served on top. It was literally overflowing the bowl. The dressing is on the side. W/o chicken it is advertised as a healthy choice which means among other things, under 500 calories.

I would definitely consider this again and heartily recommend it. A bit heavy on the lettuce and a little lacking in the amount of the dressing, but overall quite tasty.

Once again, the dessert is underwhelming but adequate. In this case lemon cake with 3 blueberries on the side. Nothing that stood out, but not terrible by any means.

The Pinot Grigio was decent but I think next time I'd order the meal w/o the chicken and go with the Cabernet, I think it would better match the spiciness of the dressing.

Thus ends this first revue.
 #827399  by DutchRailnut

Meals are very very much depending on ones taste, expect home cooking or restaurant quality and you will be disapointed.
look more for Airline meals with a wine, and you may be impressed.
 #827402  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:Meals are very very much depending on ones taste, expect home cooking or restaurant quality and you will be disapointed.
look more for Airline meals with a wine, and you may be impressed.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I was somehow disappointed. I was not. As I said, the main course I thought was very good. The dessert was not much of note (to be honest, there I find real dining cars tend to win out).

I find in general the First Class meals to be very good and on-par or better than a number of restaurants I've ordered from. They are in fact one reason I bother to use my coupons to upgrade.
 #827427  by electricron

My favorite, all-time, Amtrak lunch was the Idaho Star, a huge Idaho baked potato with all the fixings on the side. Too bad it was only available on the Empire Builder, and has disappeared from the Empire Builder menu.

Bring it back Amtrak, and put it on every train... :wink:
 #827430  by DutchRailnut

Acela first class ??? empire builder ???? duhhhh like homer would say.
 #827439  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:Acela first class ??? empire builder ???? duhhhh like homer would say.
Come-on Dutch, there are ovens (if not microwave ovens) on Acela trains in the Bistro car that could be used to bake potatoes!
 #827441  by DutchRailnut

Reviews, not what can be made in a microwave, Duhhh..
 #827498  by Stephen B. Carey

Speaking for someone who has had Amtrak meals all over this great country, I must say the meals on the Southwest Chief were the best. As for Acela, the topic at hand I would say that I was quite impressed with what I got.The service was prompt and polite and I really felt like a first class passenger.

- A special thank you to Amtrak Guest Rewards for allowing my poor self to have this first class treatment. :-D -
 #827980  by Vincent

Northern Pacific was famous for their gigantic, 2 pound baked potatoes. They were grown in the Yakima Valley and baked on board for 90+ minutes in a presto log fired oven. No microwaves or Acelas back in those days.
 #828015  by Greg Moore

spacecadet wrote:You guys are lucky. When I rode Acela Express first class, I got a sandwich and a bag of potato chips.
Out of curiosity, when was that?

I'm waiting for my next batch of class upgrade coupons, so until they come in (and my schedule works out) no more 1st class for me.

I often find it easier (cost/timewise) to take it NB in the morning, so I suspect my next review will be a breakfast one.
 #828035  by spacecadet

Greg Moore wrote:
spacecadet wrote:You guys are lucky. When I rode Acela Express first class, I got a sandwich and a bag of potato chips.
Out of curiosity, when was that?
It was in 2005. Apparently a short-lived experiment. It was quite disappointing and I understand they ditched the idea pretty quick, as it was hardly what you'd call "first class".