Railroad Forums 

• Acela First Class Meal Reviews

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#891959  by Greg Moore

It was actually Monday, so the review is not fresh in my mind, but due to the holiday schedule ended up on the 5:00 PM Acela Southbound, getting off at Wilmington.

Once again, the meal began with the nut mix, you know my feelings on that.

The main course offered several different choices including a vegetarian option of 4 ravioli. The presentation was about average, though due to the size of he bowl they were all jumbled on together. This meal would do better with a presentation on a larger plate.

That however did not detract from the flavor. It started off rich, with a good mix of sauce and cheese and ravioli. Towards the end as it cooled, the mixture became a bit thicker, almost to the point being a bit too much on the chewy side. However, that really was a minor distraction from an otherwise fine meal.

I added a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon with the meal. This had a bit to much of a tannin after bite, but otherwise was a fair choice.

Given the chance I would definitely order this meal again.
 #899494  by Greg Moore

This morning on 2104.

There were two choices that appealed to me, a scone with bacon and cheese I believe and an egg tart.

I went with the egg tart.

This came with a bowl of fresh fruit and a side of asparagus. I'll start with those two.

The cantaloupe is firm was it should be, but a bit too cold. I prefer room temperature, this definitely came from a cooler. But otherwise it appears fresh and quite edible (and this comes from a person who is NOT a fan of fruit.)

The asparagus is well seasoned and tasty, but a tad overcooked. Also crispy.

Now on tot the tart. This is a small tart, about 3-4" in diameter with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Very tasty. My only complaint is that the tart itself is a bit soggy (again, I suspect from the way it is heated.) I think this probably qualifies though as one of the better breakfasts I've had on the Acela. Actually probably one of the better breakfasts I've had overall in a long time.

I would recommend this breakfast.
 #899546  by Greg Moore

CSX Conductor wrote:Bring back the mini sliders.
For breakfast? I'm not sure my stomach could handle that! :-)

Anyway, I should note I'm out of 1st class upgrades until my new 2011 packet comes in. And that's too bad since the lunch/dinner menu had a chicken/scallop option that looked VERY tasty.
 #942073  by Greg Moore

Onboard 2104 NB to NYP (seems to be the Acela I ride the most).

The options this morning (I remembered to start this entry BEFORE they took away the menu) are basically an egg breakfast tart (I think that'll be my choice), French Toast, Cereal and bagel, cottage cheese and fresh fruit. Not a bad set of choices.

I'm a huge fan of french toast, but as I believe I've mentioned before, having grown up in New England, real maple syrup is a must and that does not appear to be an option. (and even if it were, to be honest, it would be a risk while wearing a dress shirt fresh from the cleaners. :-)

The car attendant seemed a bit confused when I asked for a hot chocolate (it's on the menu) and responded with, "We'll see what we can do." I trust it'll show up shortly. He then moved to the next seat before I could mention I also also wanted a bottle of juice. (which I did manage to get after getting his attention again.)

However, what's very unusual, which I've never seen before today is that they are actually using the beverage cart up and down the aisle. (i.e. moving from one end of the train to the other). In all past cases I've always seen them go to the food station, prepare drinks and bring them to your seat.

Well the egg tart wasn't bad. Again though, it suffers from the effects of being re-heated in a microwave. The asparagus on the side was limp and soggy and the tart crust was soft and mushy. I also could not see any pieces of the salmon that was supposedly in it.

That said, the flavor was excellent and the grape tomatoes in the tart were still juicy (though a tad bitter, tasted like they may have been picked before they were ripe and ripened off the vine.)

Overall the meal was adequate. Certainly not the best I've had on the Acela, but still far better than anything I've had in the cafe car.

The croissant wouldn't pass muster in a French bakery but for here is quite adequate.
 #942185  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Moore, I think The Times has an opening for a restaurant critic as Frank Bruni, the present critic, is moving to the Op-Ed page with a regular column.

Care to send the new Executive Editor, Jill Abramson, your resume?
 #942202  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Moore, I think The Times has an opening for a restaurant critic as Frank Bruni, the present critic, is moving to the Op-Ed page with a regular column.

Care to send the new Executive Editor, Jill Abramson, your resume?
While thank you, I think my skills as a food critic would pale in comparison. Could be fun though. :-)
 #948653  by danib62

I'm in the middle of my first ride in first class on 2254 from WAS to BOS. My meal started with the nut mix which was pretty good in my opinion. I ordered a kosher meal and had fairly low expectations. Despite my low expectations I was fairly disappointed. I got an appetizer of gefilta fish which was pretty heinous. I ate some of it out of a sense of duty but couldn't really get through half. Main course was "grilled" salmon in some lemony ooze. Sides were an orange rice dish with no discernible taste and a mix of what looked like frozen peas, carrots and string beans. For dessert I had a piece of pound cake with some day-glow orange apricot topping. It seemed to be the same type of meal I'd usually get on an airplane flight if I requested kosher but the quality was below even that level. Can't really blame amtrak but the caterer they get these things from. They're essentially kept frozen for weeks until they get a request for one from an oddball like me.

Other then that the service has been great and my only regret was only discovering that booze was on the house at NYP.
 #948824  by danib62

One question on etiquette: Is it proper to tip the first class car attendent? I didn't because I figured it's like a flight attendent and you typically don't tip them. Wondering if this is a fauxe pas or not for the future. I can't say I noticed anyone else tipping.
 #948914  by Greg Moore

danib62 wrote:I'm in the middle of my first ride in first class on 2254 from WAS to BOS. My meal started with the nut mix which was pretty good in my opinion. I ordered a kosher meal and had fairly low expectations. Despite my low expectations I was fairly disappointed. I got an appetizer of gefilta fish which was pretty heinous. I ate some of it out of a sense of duty but couldn't really get through half. Main course was "grilled" salmon in some lemony ooze. Sides were an orange rice dish with no discernible taste and a mix of what looked like frozen peas, carrots and string beans. For dessert I had a piece of pound cake with some day-glow orange apricot topping. It seemed to be the same type of meal I'd usually get on an airplane flight if I requested kosher but the quality was below even that level. Can't really blame amtrak but the caterer they get these things from. They're essentially kept frozen for weeks until they get a request for one from an oddball like me.

Other then that the service has been great and my only regret was only discovering that booze was on the house at NYP.
I want to thank you Danib62 for contributing your review to this thread. Despite Mr. Norman's fine praise, I had never intended this thread to be a one-man review and so welcome reviews from others who have happened to enjoy a meal (or not enjoy as the case may be) a meal in First Class on Acela.

As for the alcohol, as I generally ride in the morning I generally don't imbibe, but if riding in the afternoon have been known to (including the one much delay train where the wine flowed fairly freely.)

As for tipping, I generally do. And if I ever received service on an airline comparable to the service I receive on Acela, I'd be tempted to tip there too. I don't think that temptation is in the works any time soon. :-)

(If my plans hold together though and I can dig up my last upgrade (until I order more) I will be riding an evening Acela later this week.)
 #949511  by lstone19

A brief aside to respond to Mr. Moore: airline flight attendants are not tipped. On every airline with which I am familiar, FAs are not permitted to accept tips and I believe accepting one is a termination offsense. Why? The best reason I can think of is that unlike Amtrak service staff, they are "required crew" and subject to Hours of Service rules with providing transportation the primary job and service secondary. And just as you don't tip a trainman, you don't tip the inflight equivalent.
 #949541  by Gilbert B Norman

Come on Mr. Moore, get your resume into Ms. Abramson at The Times (smile; emoticoms seem to be disabled at my screen) as past critic, Frank Bruni, now writes Op-Ed columns unrelated to Dining. Here is his first:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/07/opinion/07thu1.html\

Lest we forget, The Times is likely the only paper left with budget adequate to send critics on out-of-town assignments (their music critic periodically is sent out here for noteworthy Chicago Symphony concerts).
 #949544  by Greg Moore

lstone19 wrote:A brief aside to respond to Mr. Moore: airline flight attendants are not tipped. On every airline with which I am familiar, FAs are not permitted to accept tips and I believe accepting one is a termination offsense. Why? The best reason I can think of is that unlike Amtrak service staff, they are "required crew" and subject to Hours of Service rules with providing transportation the primary job and service secondary. And just as you don't tip a trainman, you don't tip the inflight equivalent.
That is correct. I should have been more clear. I would have been tempted, but not done so.