Railroad Forums 

• Accused of Trespassing while filming

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#454182  by chuckmitchell

Well I am taking what you said to heart, because I have heard it countless times from other railroad workers, I will delete the videos that I find offensive to the railroaders, and If attitudes don't change then so be it.

#454326  by MEC407

Ken W2KB wrote:The brochure appears to have been prepared by the NJ State DHS and lists "16 examples of suspicious behavior" which should be reported to the County's "tips line" telephone number. Example 3 states "Persons observed near a place of interest, using or carrying video equipment, still cameras, or other observation devices."
So if I go to NJ and I see an interesting monument or statue (e.g. "a place of interest") and I decide to stop and take a picture of it, folks are gonna call the cops on me?

I guess I know where I won't be going for vacation.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

#454361  by Conrail4evr

MEC407 wrote:
Ken W2KB wrote:The brochure appears to have been prepared by the NJ State DHS and lists "16 examples of suspicious behavior" which should be reported to the County's "tips line" telephone number. Example 3 states "Persons observed near a place of interest, using or carrying video equipment, still cameras, or other observation devices."
So if I go to NJ and I see an interesting monument or statue (e.g. "a place of interest") and I decide to stop and take a picture of it, folks are gonna call the cops on me?

I guess I know where I won't be going for vacation.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin
Come on now, use your head! Do you really honestly believe people are THAT stupid? It's a given at a monument or statue or whatnot - all it's really saying is for people to use their heads and report something they find suspicious.

And, honestly now - what is the big hysteria amongst an officer of the law stopping and asking you what you're doing? It's usually a 1 to 2 minute incident with nothing negative resulting from it (unless you somehow determine that being hostile towards the officer will "help" the situation).

As for the quote, honestly, I don't view an officer merely stopping to ask what I'm doing once in a while a major issue with my civil liberties. If any of you DO think so, I think you're really overreacting to the situation. Generally speaking, it only turns into a fiasco if you decide to do so!

#454413  by Otto Vondrak

chuckmitchell- Looking at this from all sides... you brought it upon yourself. It is not the job of the railfan community to police the railroads. Keep that in mind next time you want to share a video like that.

Let's move on to more productive conversation.

-otto-